Why is SIPgate special?

esjones

Reaction score
FIRST POST HERE! I have PIAF up and running, using Nerd Vittles' Incredible PBX installer. I'm using a free SIPgate trunk and a free Google Voice number, and everything works! YAY!

Now that it's working, I would like to LEARN as much as I can before I pull my POTS lines and move the phone services for my and my wife's home offices over to PIAF.

First, I don't think I can stay with SIPgate, long term. They can't port local numbers at this time.

My question, though, is what are they doing differently than other SIP trunk providers, in that they don't require me to open up ports on my firewall/router? I have read in more than one place that on the one hand, you must open SIP ports to use most SIP providers, and on the other hand, doing that very thing is a high security risk!!!

Can someone give me some education, please?

Thank you all!

- Earl

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
AFAIK, Sipgate was used in the NV articles since you can get a DID for free to use with GV. I don't think they are any different or special than other providers. Technically, you shouldn't have to open ports for any SIP provider because of the registration string which should keep the connection open through your (decent) router or so I have seen posted by Ward here copiously. I, myself, use VOIPms for my DIDs with IAX which does not require any ports to be forwarded at all!

Good luck!

esjones

Reaction score
Ross -
I, too, have settled on VOIP.ms and have been very satisfied with their service so far. They recommend using SIP, yet you are using IAX trunks with them. Any particular reason other than no ports having to be opened on your router? Do IAX trunks have a limited number of channels? VOIP.ms offers 25 channels on their SIP trunks.

Thanks for the continuing education!

Earl

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I do not know of any limitations on IAX channels. No other reason than no opened ports, correct.
No problem!

:D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.