Where in the World is NerdUno?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Wouldn't this be a handy addition for inbound calls using the color display of your desktop phone? We could figure out the location with a GPS-enabled cellphone caller or drop back to CallerID for a best guess location with Google Latitude. This isn't that far-fetched. You can see it in action in the sidebar of the Nerd Vittles page.

latitude.gif

blakekrone

Guru
Reaction score
I've started to work on this, you would have to use CallerID. How would your PBX know the GPS location from a cellphone? The call isn't tagged with that in such a way that one can use it, only emergency services have access to that data I believe.

Bitnetix

Guru
Reaction score
Wouldn't this be a handy addition for inbound calls using the color display of your desktop phone?

I gotta tell you - it scares the hell out of me, personally. It's bad enough that I'm sending caller ID information. It's bad enough that my cell phone has a GPS in it. The last thing I want is the wrong number that I call to know where I live with any certainty (even the vagueness of Google maps) and come do something to me because I happen to catch him at a "bad moment" (whatever defines badness would be up to him).

I like what little privacy I have left in this world.

Now, on the other hand, to be able to have maps pop up for OTHER people who call ME, that's a good thing! :wink5:

Lost Trunk

Guru
Reaction score
I agree with Bitnetix - if I found out a cell provider I was using was actually handing out my location information to anyone other than a 911 center or other law enforcement for a legitimate purpose, I would be extremely upset with that company. In fact, I don't even want law enforcement to have it unless they can produce a court order, not because I'm doing anything illegal, but because it all starts to sound a bit too Orwellian to me.

Technology is such a double-edged sword - just because something CAN be done, doesn't mean it SHOULD be done. Think carefully about what capabilities you are giving to others, who may not use it in the way you intend. If nothing else, think back to when your were a teenager - even if you were a "good kid", would you really have wanted your parents to be able to track your whereabouts every second of the day?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
You can always tell the folks that don't have young daughters. Those of us that do want all of the technology help we can get. Won't be happy til I can get the satellite cam to zoom in on the back seat of that convertible... Then a couple hundred text messages should do the trick (really bad pun, sorry). And, by the time they turn their phones off, I'm gonna be there. :cool:

judy_convertible.jpg

Bitnetix

Guru
Reaction score
I'd think that if your daughter is in the back of the convertible, she might not have time to call you and have her location pop up on a map. :biggrin5:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
No call req'd with this cell technology. It's Live 365. :auto:

Bitnetix

Guru
Reaction score
Okay, so seriously, an "opt-in" strategy. Something like this already exists with cellular chaperon functionality. You pay extra for this and intentionally give your monitoring chaperon your location information.

On the other hand, I stand by my opinion, regardless of whether or not I have children, that I cherish what little privacy I have left in this google street-view pervasive world, and I would actively fight having my location (or my "Latitude" to use googlespeak) show up on someone's phone.

But that's just me.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
The cellphone tracking (so far) is an opt-in technology that you have control over. But the black box in most cars with GPS technology or LoJack already stores your location AND speed.

Reverse CallerID number lookup is another matter unless all your phone numbers are unlisted. What I envision is a popup map with your mugshot (if publicly available) and your city,state or street,city,state map location depending upon what's already available in your friendly phone book, none of which is copyrightable by the way.

George Orwell was way ahead of his time... at the time. 1984 was actually written in 1948. He would not have been Google's biggest fan.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.