TIPS What's a good router for PIAF?

quintont

Reaction score
No luck with the Grandstream. It does get further, and connects, but no sound. Still on the DMZ. Samsung S3 still working fine.

rjaiswal

Reaction score
Couple of questions... Do you have nat=yes on your extensions? And in the asterisk cli, when you do a sip show peers, do you see your external address or the phones internal address?

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
You can probably fix this by buying an inexpensive router and loading Tomato (the ASUS RT16 or something); the Polycom's will work behind that. Put the SmartRG into bridge mode. You can likely make it work with the Smart but it might take a lot of work / time. Might not be worth it.

Hyksos

Guru
Reaction score
Nobody realized it but the OP has hijacked a thread and not just any thread... This does not belong here... at all...
Just saying...

quintont

Reaction score
Hyksos - The thread, 'What's a good router for PIAF' is within the General Discussion category, which is what we're doing - generally discussing. I agree that perhaps now that its been established that the SmartRG is not a good router that the discussion could be taken elsewhere, although you make no suggestion of where to take that post, nor any constructive comment on the SmartRG. You've done the virtual equivalent of walking into a meeting, saying "you're all full of crap", and walking out again. Thank you to all who have provided input. I'm going shopping for a new box. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get the SmartRG to work for my fixed line phones, I'd like to learn more. I'll be trying the suggestions above and if there's no progress, will move on to new hardware. Thanks again.

Hyksos

Guru
Reaction score
You feel attacked for nothing, you should have started a thread that's all I'm saying. It belongs in a new thread specific to your specific question, that's all.

You're generally discussing your specific issue, not generally discussing good routers for PIAF.
Check the answers/questions you got, help for your question, you would be better served in your own thread under "Help" with a subject line like the name of your new modem...
Any of those guys would have told you it should go in a new thread, they just wanted to help so much that they didn't realize it this time.

But that's an opinion and it's mine you can disagree without feeling attacked.
It's like if I entered a meeting room and said you're all full of crap cuz you're sitting in the janitor's office! and then... I left.

magna.vis

Guru
Reaction score
Asus RT-N10P, on sale, $9.99 after MIR (free shipping). I've used Asus MIRs before, and I had a good experience. This is one of the cheapest routers that supports Tomato/DD-WRT, and it comes highly recommended for home installations looking for something full featured on the cheep.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...13-Index-_-WirelessNetworking-_-33320158-L03B

I traditionally recommend the RT-N12 D1 (because it's usually only a few dollars more, and I think it's worth it) but at $10, this deal is hard to beat. Also posting this in the For Sale section. For $10, I'll be picking one up just to keep on hand. You never know when someone will need something.

SOLD OUT! This is on sale again, now $5 after MIR. I got this MIR back in just a few weeks, ASUS's MIR program comes highly recommended from me. Updated links:

Product: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Asus-RT-N10P
Promo Code:EMCPEWE42
$10 MIR, link on product page. Still supports Tomato, and mine has been running strong since December, 2013. For $5, this is a great router to have in a pinch, or for temporary use while troubleshooting or testing new features.

Reaction score
Mark D. Montgomery II If you mean adding a torrent server, or a web server, that's a big no-no. If you ask questions like that around the forums (https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=32920.0) you will always get the same answer. From what I gather, anything is possible (Mom used to tell me the same thing), but it's not something anyone is likely to help you with.

Hah ok. So it's one of those "You can run extra stuff if you really want to and can figure it out, but we aren't going to help because that is outside what the distro is designed for". I guess that makes sense for what it is.

magna.vis

Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, the actual concern is attack surface though. Special consideration has been taken to minimise the attack surface with it's current feature set, and adding more services or applications to it could, potentially, increase that attack surface. Say, for instance, there's a vulnerability on the NAS server you have open to the web, and they get a username and password. There's a good chance that same username and password would work for management of the firewall, because whoever set it up didn't think they should be different.

The general consensus in the security realm is "The less, the better." I tend to agree with that, in general.

magna.vis

Guru
Reaction score
As a point of interest, I have upgraded my home network to a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite from a Linksys E4200 running Toastman's Tomato build with QoS. I have to say, the new case along with EdgeOS V1.5.0 really sold me, and I'm so glad I changed over. I didn't see huge gains in performance, though, that's to be expected as my line is only 30/5. But, I have to say, it feels snappier, and it's really a joy to configure. At $100, it's far cheaper than the pfSense boxes you can buy, or even the ones you can build yourself!

TL;DR: I agree wtih Hyksos, after testing and using the EdgeRouter Lite, it carries my recommendation. http://www.amazon.com/EdgeRouter-ERLite-3-512MB-Ethernet-Router/dp/B00CPRVF5K
I ordered from Pasadena Networks using that link. Cheapest price, fast shipping.

Here's what my network now looks like:
ne9vn7.jpg

Reaction score
As a point of interest, I have upgraded my home network to a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite from a Linksys E4200 running Toastman's Tomato build with QoS. I have to say, the new case along with EdgeOS V1.5.0 really sold me, and I'm so glad I changed over. I didn't see huge gains in performance, though, that's to be expected as my line is only 30/5. But, I have to say, it feels snappier, and it's really a joy to configure. At $100, it's far cheaper than the pfSense boxes you can buy, or even the ones you can build yourself!

TL;DR: I agree wtih Hyksos, aftering testing and using the EdgeRouter Lite, it carries my recommendation. http://www.amazon.com/EdgeRouter-ERLite-3-512MB-Ethernet-Router/dp/B00CPRVF5K
I ordered from Pasadena Networks using that link. Cheapest price, fast shipping.

Cool. I really need to grab one of those to play with. That would probably be a good choice for my client in the mall when we clean up his network if I can get his comcast router into pure bridging mode.
I'm assuming the dhcp/dns is completely configurable since it's a *nix based box (I'm considering reorganizing the church/school network a bit and am considering one for there as well, but need full dhcpd and bind management for that site)?

On an off topic note: What did you make that graphic with?

rjaiswal

Reaction score

TL;DR: I agree wtih Hyksos, aftering testing and using the EdgeRouter Lite, it carries my recommendation. http://www.amazon.com/EdgeRouter-ERLite-3-512MB-Ethernet-Router/dp/B00CPRVF5K

Here's what my network now looks like:
ne9vn7.jpg

I have to agree. The edge router lite is my new go to router for new installs. Very easy to configure, and very flexible.

magna.vis

Guru
Reaction score
Cool. I really need to grab one of those to play with. That would probably be a good choice for my client in the mall when we clean up his network if I can get his comcast router into pure bridging mode.
I'm assuming the dhcp/dns is completely configurable since it's a *nix based box (I'm considering reorganizing the church/school network a bit and am considering one for there as well, but need full dhcpd and bind management for that site)?

On an off topic note: What did you make that graphic with?

Heres the info regarding full BIND support: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeM...ure-BIND-DNS-Server-on-the-Router/ta-p/558587. The DHCP server is able to do anything I would like for it to, if you have something specific in mind, I can look. I've been considering moving my church over to one when our SonicWALL contract is up. We'd have to find new wireless equipment though, or keep the SonicWALL on just to manage the SonicPoints.

I used Visio to create the diagram. It's the most widely used, as far as I'm aware, and one of the easiest to find stencils for, or make your own if you need too. It's also extremely flexible, and can be used to design SharePoint Workflows, basic electrical diagrams, diagram checking with rules, etc. I use it weekly, often daily, for work. I use it for a lot of "in case I die" documentation. One thing that I find really cool is linking, so I can link a Physical Hyper-V Host (on one of my physical network diagrams) to it's object on the Logical Hyper-V Host page (a page specifically for it, or specifically for all the Hyper-V hosts, and their network configurations, guests, failover and load balancing rules, etc). This makes navigating extremely large and complex diagrams more like navigating a web page; 'What do I want to see more about?' click that item, and there you are.

Reaction score
Heres the info regarding full BIND support: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeM...ure-BIND-DNS-Server-on-the-Router/ta-p/558587. The DHCP server is able to do anything I would like for it to, if you have something specific in mind, I can look. I've been considering moving my church over to one when our SonicWALL contract is up. We'd have to find new wireless equipment though, or keep the SonicWALL on just to manage the SonicPoints.

I used Visio to create the diagram. It's the most widely used, as far as I'm aware, and one of the easiest to find stenzels for, or make your own if you need too. It's also extremely flexible, and can be used to design SharePoint Workflows, basic electrical diagrams, diagram checking with rules, etc. I use it weekly, often daily, for work. I use it for a lot of "in case I die" documentation. One thing that I find really cool is linking, so I can link a Physical Hyper-V Host (on one of my physical network diagrams) to it's object on the Logical Hyper-V Host page (a page specifically for it, or specifically for all the Hyper-V hosts, and their network configurations, guests, failover and load balancing rules, etc). This makes navigating extremely large and complex diagrams more like navigating a web page; 'What do I want to see more about?' click that item, and there you are.

Ok. So it's essentially running a Debian base..so normal bind is easy enough (just transfer my files over once installed) so I take it it's running isc-dhcp3 for dhcp most likely. Mainly I need to be able to create my static leases and set the various options for pxe/t*f*t*p/unifi/unifi-video to point things to the correct machines for those services. Nothing overly odd I don't think. If it's just running standard isc-dhcp3 I could just dump my config files over for that as well and tweak accordingly to the new server addresses.

I did just order one and if the configuration stuff works out I'm considering reorganizing the church network a little and using it for there since I've had some odd issues with the NICs in the current server/router box and Comcast.

magna.vis

Guru
Reaction score
It is Debian, correct. Shouldn't be any surprises, as far as I can tell, based on what you're doing. One thing, I do know VyOS has moved to ISC DHCP 4 (http://blog.vyos.net/post/68466041801/isc-dhcp-4-1-8), and from what I understand, the developers work closely with Ubiquiti Networks to develop and share advances between the two branches. It's quite possible this has been incorporated into EdgeOS. I could check, but yours is on its way, and I don't believe it differs very much.

Great getting started guide:
http://wiki.ubnt.com/SOHO_Edgemax_Example

Reaction score
It is Debian, correct. Shouldn't be any surprises, as far as I can tell, based on what you're doing. One thing, I do know VyOS has moved to ISC DHCP 4 (http://blog.vyos.net/post/68466041801/isc-dhcp-4-1-8), and from what I understand, the developers work closely with Ubiquiti Networks to develop and share advances between the two branches. It's quite possible this has been incorporated into EdgeOS. I could check, but yours is on its way, and I don't believe it differs very much.

Great getting started guide:
http://wiki.ubnt.com/SOHO_Edgemax_Example

Thanks! It's sitting on my desk at home with as much configuration done as I can do without actually putting it in place.
At this point I should be able to take it over, change the IP and such on the current router/server, and then toss the ERL in place as the new router and make the final changes.
If it works well at the church I'll definitely be recommending it for my client when we redo his office network and voip setup.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.