ALERT WhatMeWorry: €11 Million Heist

Brian Simmons

Reaction score
Ouch - I guess another reason to A) don't do updates unless you need to and B) Use PIAF over Elastix :)

Actually he said that it was the lack of updates that allowed the hackers access. Had the system been updated in a timely fashion, the exploits the hackers used would have been fixed.

mbellot

Reaction score
Ouch - I guess another reason to A) don't do updates unless you need to and B) Use PIAF over Elastix :)

A very good reason to use a prepaid service. When the money runs out, the hackers are shut off automatically.

It may not be practical for business, but it's simple insurance for home users.

Reaction score

I believe the point was to actually keep your system updated, not to not do them unless you need to.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
My Bad - Yes - I originally heard them having an update that opened a hole. And Yes - using pre-paid without auto-replenish can save you. I know when I was doing pre-paid cards with A2B, I got hacked several times where I got dinged for over $100 each time ... but at least it was limited to that. Teaches you to harden your system and lock it down as tight as possible.

Johann

Reaction score
Ward and friends, please read my post on sip.us, and security, which applies to many other providers of SIP trunks as well.

http://pbxinaflash.com/community/index.php?threads/sip-us-and-security.18281/

It is also important, that not only the PBX is kept secure, but the web control panels of sip providers as well.
Cause there you are just one cracked password away from someone changing your auto replenish settings, international settings and forwarding incoming calls to a toll fraud destination.
We need to have the option to lock down certain settings on the provider end, so if your control panel got hacked, the damage done would be minimal.

Last edited:

billsimon

Reaction score
I think that stirring up concern about specific providers when you have no history with them is unfair. Please raise your feature requests / concerns with them directly before posting imaginary disaster scenarios on forums.

Johann

Reaction score
Well, first I have raised this concern with them, second, it is not an imaginary disaster scenario at all, and, it is right, that this is the same with many SIP providers out there.
I should probably have changed the post header to something more general, as this is not provider specific at all.
In fact, sip.us made a very good impression on me, so that is why I would like them to fix this. In fact, this would put them ahead of competitors like SIP station.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@Johann makes some good points. But, to be clear, this has little or nothing to do with sip.us and everything to do with the design of virtually every VoIP provider's web portal. If there is a vulnerability in the portal code and the attacker gains access to the provider's server and data, you are screwed if your credit card credentials are on file regardless of whether you have enabled automatic replenishment or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.