FOOD FOR THOUGHT What ever happened to FREESwitch?

Reaction score
It seemed to be picking up a lot of momentum. Looks like their web site is down right now.

voip_user

Reaction score
They had a hardware failure which is causing there server to be down from what I've seen on twitter.

Reaction score
I was unclear. I meant what ever happened to the project in general. Freeswitch seemed to be poised to become an open-source project that could unseat asterisk as the defacto standard. IIRC, there was a GUI under development that was coming along nicely.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Freeswitch does a number of things that asterisk doesnt I use a custom version that supports ZRTP for a client . Luckily the client is outside of the reaches of uncle sugar so no CALEA problems..... I wish I had more time to play with it.... FusionPBX seems to work ok which may be the GUI you are talking about we did put out Switch in a Flash in two flavors but the code is old.... I just attempted to install it and it needs some loving.

Love the guys from Freeswitch! I have always had great conversations with them and they were always willing to help unlike some vendors I have dealt with in the past. I notice they tend to not improve things simply because they want to. (Change for Changes Sake) A lot of the changes take a while but seem to be rock solid when they are released out of development. I think in the past we have all been victims of "Let's change this for no apparent reason" and it ends up breaking any number of things. While all phone systems are very complex ecosystems freeswitch seems to value the stability more so than the cutting edge. Both approaches have their merit.

Freeswitch is well worth a look

Tom

voip_user

Reaction score
1.6 was just released and it has some great video features. I've been thinking about using it as a video bridge for a client. Time is one of the things I'm lacking on, so when I do get some(spring 2016) I'll have a deeper dive.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
yah i updated the switch in the flash software to use 1.6.5 however no time to get the bugs out these days. Maybe in the new year.......

Tom

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
FreeSWITCH 1.6 depends on many updated system libraries which are available in Debian 8, but require additional work to include in CentOS distributions. As of September 2015 the FS team can not recommend CentOS 6 for modern versions of FreeSWITCH™.

shame, on the above found here https://freeswitch.org/confluence/display/FREESWITCH/CentOS+6 as stuff like this http://www.powerpbx.org/content/centos6-freeswitch1-bluebox1-v2 and this https://plone.lucidsolutions.co.nz/linux/freeswitch/install-freeswitch-on-a-centos-v6-vm offer some really differentation.

of course, bluebox plus the Asterisk driver underneath would be very interesting to test too.

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
any news on this while I re-image my cloudatcost install with Scientific Linux?

billsimon

Reaction score
any news on this while I re-image my cloudatcost install with Scientific Linux?

FreeSWITCH (and also FusionPBX) work great in the Debian 8 environment. Definitely can't recommend trying to hack it together in an RHEL-based environment. If you can take some time and get comfortable with Debian I think you will find working with FreeSWITCH and FusionPBX much more pleasant.

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score

billsimon

Reaction score
Yes, and from the same website: https://freeswitch.org/confluence/display/FREESWITCH/Debian+8+Jessie

Debian 8 "Jessie" is the reference platform for FreeSWITCH™ as of version 1.6 and is STRONGLY recommended for all applications due to its stability and broad support for the system libraries needed by FreeSWITCH.

If you go chat in the #freeswitch channel you will find the same info.

I didn't say it wouldn't work. It's your hair to pull out...

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score

KUMARULLAL

Guru
Reaction score
Can there be the iptables whitelist script developed for fusisonpbx along with add-ip, add-fqdn, and del-ip on Debian, ubuntu and centos distros?
That will atleast block all other IPs except the authorized ones. This script will run at OS level rather than application levels. The ports may have to added or modified though. This can jump start the testing in the cloud.

stuck

Reaction score
Can there be the iptables whitelist script developed for fusisonpbx along with add-ip, add-fqdn, and del-ip on Debian, ubuntu and centos distros?
That will atleast block all other IPs except the authorized ones. This script will run at OS level rather than application levels. The ports may have to added or modified though. This can jump start the testing in the cloud.
KUMARULLAL,
I used/modified the Raspian script to apply travelin man to a Debian Jesse based FusionPBX and the whitelist is working fine...
http://pbxinaflash.com/community/th...-travelin-man-script-for-debian-jessie.19186/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.