TIPS Waterproof outdoor POE endpoint

matt91

Reaction score
We have a summer cabin on a lake. The cabin is about 100' up from the lakefront, through somewhat thick trees and brush.

Our kids are old enough now where we let them fish from the dock or hang out and feed the ducks without an adult there at all times. However, it would be nice to have some form of communication between the waterfront and the cabin. We have used walkie-talkies in the past, and they are OK, but the batteries die, or one unit gets moved underneath something and can't be heard easily, etc.

I'm thinking about the possibility of having a SIP endpoint down by the water. My WiFi doesn't really get to the water very well, and I'd need some power for an endpoint anyway, so I was thinking of running an exterior Cat 5/6 cable with a carrier line from the cabin, through the trees, down to the waterfront. This would allow me to use a POE unit.

This would be mounted in an enclosure that I put on a nearby tree or post. I'd probably take it in during the winter when we aren't around. I'm thinking of Something like this.

This specific one only has a single button, so it would only dial to endpoint(s) in the house. As long as it functioned as a loudspeaker when dialed, the kids at the water would (hopefully) hear mom or dad calling for them.

I could look for a unit with a keypad, which would cost more, but would be nice because we could also call 911 if we ever had to. (I guess I'd have to set up a dialplan to filter out all other outside calls.)

I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about this setup, or perhaps has thought of something that I haven't.

Thanks,
matt

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
I 'd probably use an old fashion mechanical analog phone hung off an FXS port, and connect a mechanical external ringer that could wake the neighbors and the kids can hear over most anything. Keep the FXS adapter and electronics that are heat/humidity sensitive indoors.

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
I've used a plastic weather "resistant" toolbox, mounted vertically to a structure, or wood post. (see: Lowes here). The bottom of the toolbox becomes the case "back", and the lid becomes a front opening door. The latch will keep it fairly weather protected.

You can then mount any phone style you wish, inside this fancy enclosure!

Last edited:

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Many of the "door phones" out there are also waterproof, but this may come at a premium as you note. They do nicely have their own enclosures though. It might be better than blowing out your PoE switch if the water somehow gets into a home made solution . . .

Jon Elson

Reaction score
We have a summer cabin on a lake. The cabin is about 100' up from the lakefront, through somewhat thick trees and brush.

Thanks,
matt
Watch out for long, outdoors runs of CAT5! If lightning strikes anywhere in the area, it could fry the entire phone system. If you do this, you need to put some kind of HEAVY DUTY surge suppressor on the cabin end of the line. I have various electronic stuff in my house, some on 100 foot runs of cable, and have had stuff get blown out when lightning struck within a few thousand feet of the house. I've only had an Ethernet port blown out one time, they are fairly robust, most of it was other types of gear.

Jon

magna.vis

Guru
Reaction score
If lightning strikes anywhere in the area, it could fry the entire phone system.
We've had this happen before. Long outdoor ground or roof runs were fairly common in one of my previous environments, and we were replacing switches and desktops as a result.

... I was thinking of running an exterior Cat 5/6 cable with a carrier line from the cabin
Beware of where you buy from if you go Cat6 these days. Many of the Cat6 cables cost more, and don't actually meet Cat5e certifications when tested by Fluke. See Fluke's page here: http://www.flukenetworks.com/knowledge-base?nid=132399&tid=257

Unfortunately, I don't have a vendor to recommend currently- I just know that if you're going to invest the extra in a higher standard cable, you'd like to know you're actually getting it.

DSC00211 (2).JPG DSC00213 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.