TRY THIS VOXBEAM settings for PIAF

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
It would seem to be the very MOST simple trunk to set up??

http://www.voxbeam.com/settings

1. register your IP
2. choose your dial plan, and append to your string...
(from their site):
  • Sending Calls
  • Our SIP server is available at sbc.voxbeam.com.
  • We accept calls in e164 format (country code + area code + number) with an added prefix for the Voxbeam route you'd like to use.
  • Direct IP Voice: 0011102
  • Premium IP Voice: 0011101
  • Standard IP Voice: 0011103
  • Call Center IP Voice: 0011104
But even as simple as this is, I can't seem to get my RentPBX box to get an active trunk with them. (i'm not sure of the pbxiaf version - can someone tell me where to find it on the GUI?)

I'm sorry but I don't dream VOIP - I just need to configure and use... and (good or bad) if the folks at voxbeam seem to want me to read between the lines to make a box talk to them, then I'm tempted to go find someone who actually includes the information in a clear manner.

Am I being ornery, or shouldn't it be a bit more simple to configure a pbxiaf box to any particular provider? Others (such as vitelity) include a sample string set, (which is part of why I've always had them in an active account)...

What am I doing wrong?? I've punched my IP address to them, and am prepending my particular string (0011103) into the phone string of choice..

Outbound string:
host=sbc.voxbeam.com
type=peer
insecure=very
nat=yes
canreinvite=no
dtmfmode=rfc2833
context=from-trunk
disallow=all
allow=ulaw&alaw

Inbound string:
type=user
insecure=port,invite
host=sbc.voxbeam.com
context=from-trunk

what am I missing?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
First, turn off your iptables firewall momentarily and see if that's the problem: service iptables stop. Then restart Asterisk and see if you connect with VoxBeam: amportal restart. Don't forget to turn the firewall back on: service iptables start.

If that solved the problem, then add the VoxBeam FQDN to your firewall whitelist: /root/add-fqdn voxbeam sbc.voxbeam.com

If that didn't fix it, let us know.

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
Ward,

thx for the help..

I *KNOW* the issue is a firewall one.. And in fact, I got it fixed on the original firewall (see below)...

I was down in your neighborhood this weekend, setting up a rentpbx locale for someone, using an Untangle firewall. It's on a newer flavor of Untangle than another client. I was able to get it working there just fine (btw, if anybody is using Untangle as a firewall package, "Networking>Advanced>Enable SIP Helper" is rather important)...

**EDIT**
I should clarify here:
1 - the original site (site 1) issue was with boxes connecting THRU the firewall to a rentpbx site. The phones weren't getting registration.. But when I found the SIP Helper, that fixed it..

2. So I was pretty happy with Voxbeam there, and thought I'd try it at another larger site (site 2) elsewhere today..
THIS site has a PBXiaf server on-site, and it is the sole outbound SIP connection... It's an older version (2.8.1.5), and also a version of firewall (older version of Untangle).. it's working just fine in general with 3 or 4 other active trunks happily making calls.
Although it's happy to connect to the Voxbeam trunk, outbound's are one-way audio path. (callcentric, vitelity, et all others - - have happy audio, ONLY voxbeam has no audio)...

Here's the PEER details that work with them at the other location (site 1) (after whitelisting one's IP of course):

host=sbc.voxbeam.com
type=peer
insecure=very
nat=yes
canreinvite=no
dtmfmode=rfc2833
context=from-trunk
disallow=all
allow=ulaw&alaw

Am a bit perplexed as to the issues with no audio on this trunk only, when others seem to be just happy.... thoughts?

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
as a followup, yes i did do the firewall settings you mentioned - somehow my posting of this earlier didn't "stick"....

I bypassed but with no luck.
by "I know this is a firewall issue", I'm thinking it's the Untangle firewall (not my pbxiaf box)... but not really sure now that i think about it.. I also went into that router and temporarily shut off firewall services, and confirmed that NAT settings are the same as Site1...

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
So, following up on this....

I turned off iptables - didn't fix it.
I should mention this box is on Piaf 2.9.014 (Ast-1.8)...

I did figure out however, that the outbound string for Voxbeam was setup incorrect (they don't provide ready-to-use strings for Asterisk)..

Outbound string:
host=sbc.voxbeam.com​
type=peer​
insecure=very​
nat=yes​
canreinvite=no​
dtmfmode=rfc2833​
context=from-trunk​
disallow=all​
allow=ulaw&alaw*​

changed that string to:
allow=all

voila, works like a champ!

First, turn off your iptables firewall momentarily and see if that's the problem: service iptables stop. Then restart Asterisk and see if you connect with VoxBeam: amportal restart. Don't forget to turn the firewall back on: service iptables start.

If that solved the problem, then add the VoxBeam FQDN to your firewall whitelist: /root/add-fqdn voxbeam sbc.voxbeam.com

If that didn't fix it, let us know.

To take this thread slightly sideways: voxbeam authenticates ONLY via IP address: does anybody see this as a critical security issue?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
AFAIK: No way to spoof your IP address without being on their network.

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
Ok, apparently I spoke too soon.......

30hrs of it working perfectly, and about noon today, reverted to one way audio. Not sure why, but had a very unhappy customer....:mad:

Very tempted to just forget them, and while I've already handed them a months' deposit ($XXX), the unreliability on a customer trunk is not acceptable.

thoughts?

All other trunks on that server are connecting and NOT losing audio in either direction....

Setting:

host=sbc.voxbeam.com
type=peer
insecure=very
nat=yes
canreinvite=no
dtmfmode=rfc2833
context=from-trunk
disallow=all
allow=all

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.