GOOD NEWS VOIP.MS -- Rock Solid!

w1ve

Guru
Reaction score
I have been using VOIP.MS as a backup to Vitelity for the past three months... And they have been solid... No call drops, no DTMF issues, nada. In fact, I've swapped to them for all my termination.

I'm a SOHO, and am purely VOIP, so very important to have no outages.

VOIP.MS is in Montreal, Canada -- with POPs in 5 locations throughout North America. I do not know why they are using a Monserrat TLD -- I guess it was available.

The pricing is a bit cheaper than Vitelity... Very cheap to some Canadian NPAs.

I have no affiation with the company other than being a satisfied customer.

Gerry

tabbertmj

Reaction score
I would agree too. I started using them when I was having issues with LES.net. After my credit runs out there, I will switch to voip.ms completely.

tshif

Guru
Reaction score
Im having some oddball dtmf behavior with them. its only on outbound calls. Im using the settings specified on site. Did anyone experience any unusual dtmf issues? each dtmf is repeated once or twice - its odd - even when i have their did routed to their dtmf tester, it still has this oddball "bounce" when I call it using their trunk. Other providers on the same pbx do not experience any such issues. I'm stumped .... But awaiting a response from their tech support.

jmullinix

Guru
Reaction score
Have you tried setting dtmfmode=inband. That might fix it.

jonm

Reaction score
Im having some oddball dtmf behavior with them. its only on outbound calls. Im using the settings specified on site. Did anyone experience any unusual dtmf issues? each dtmf is repeated once or twice - its odd - even when i have their did routed to their dtmf tester, it still has this oddball "bounce" when I call it using their trunk. Other providers on the same pbx do not experience any such issues. I'm stumped .... But awaiting a response from their tech support.

We had a similar issue with another provider where we were getting double DTMF code. The provider pointed out to an Asterisk bug and asked me to downgrade.

I downgraded Asterisk to 1.4.18.1 and it has since fixed my issue with double DTMF.

I hope this helps.

tgtbad

Reaction score
asterisk bug 13209 fixed.

That DTMF bug is 13209 (http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=13209). It has since been fixed and a patch is available. I applied the patch to my asterisk (version 1.4.21.2). The fix consists of minor changes to rtp.c, I patched this file manually, did a make in /usr/src/asterisk, and copied /usr/src/asterisk/main/asterisk to /usr/sbin/asterisk and did a amportal restart.

I am able to use RFC2833 now.

tshif

Guru
Reaction score
tgtbad - Thank you Thank You Thank you! I really want to give voip.ms a valid vetting - and obviously I cant do that without dtmf working.

I have to admit, I'm surprised that the other voip vendors we use don't have this issue - considering its an asterisk bug.

jehowe

Guru
Reaction score
tshif - For what it's worth, this DTMF bug has bit me with various providers (vitelity, voicepulse, voip.ms). The caveat is that it seemed to effect some phones more than others- the worst was Snom's cordless M3 (which has been no stranger to DTMF issues). Using inband was a partial cure, but Asterisk's fix outlined by tgtbad has solved this problem for all the phones so far.

I too have found voip.ms reliable, and like the multiple server locations. They are full featured comparing them with some of the others, but they do seem to be leaving money on the table offering unlimited channels- others charge on a per channel basis. Whether this will change or affect them in the long run is anyones guess.

Also their reseller program is interesting, anyone can customize rates and add signups under their account (using sub-accounts). But as wide open as it is, I wonder if it has the capacity to be abused. Vitelity, for example, requires approval and $300mo minimum volume for their resellers.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
The patch will be in update-fixes and the 1.4 payload file shortly. :wink5:

jd01

Reaction score
Can someone update the link to the asterisk bug-description/patch?

I'd like to ready about it and the link doesn't work anymore, nor can I find any sign of it when I search at the Asterisk Knowledgebase/forums for 13209.

Thanks

Alex

Reaction score
I have been using VOIP.MS as a backup to Vitelity for the past three months... And they have been solid... No call drops, no DTMF issues, nada. In fact, I've swapped to them for all my termination.

I'm a SOHO, and am purely VOIP, so very important to have no outages.

VOIP.MS is in Montreal, Canada -- with POPs in 5 locations throughout North America. I do not know why they are using a Monserrat TLD -- I guess it was available.

The pricing is a bit cheaper than Vitelity... Very cheap to some Canadian NPAs.

I have no affiation with the company other than being a satisfied customer.

Gerry
Do they support faxing?

jehowe

Guru
Reaction score
Alex- I haven't tried it, but voip.ms doesn't advertise fax support or offer dedicated fax did's, so like almost every voip carrier out there, ymmv. They do offer value/premium routing & multiple server locations. Their actual outbound servers are located in Dallas & Houston though, so it would be best to peer with either of those.

equin00x

Reaction score
I use them for business office and at home. For home it's OK, for business - NO.
10%-20% of DID calls go nowhere or busy. You call the number and very often there is a silence for 20-30 seconds before connection. I see it depends on time of the day. It looks like their servers overloaded and just can't handle fast call routing.

kevinfvc

Reaction score
I've been having the intermittent delayed dialing problem (20-30 seconds before it starts to ring) since late summer. I would be surprised if it is due to an overloaded server as I notice it most frequently on the weekends.

I'm planning on switching to the premium routes to see if the problem still occurs.

I'm connected to LA POP using SIP.

invictive

Reaction score
I have been using voip.ms for about 4 months now without problems. Initially I had DTMF issues, but switching to INBAND seemed to fix it.

Voip.ms is the only provider I have used that has reliable faxing. I have never had a problem sending or receiving a fax through them.

Occasionally I experience longer than normal dial times (5-10 seconds), whereas my other provider (Unlimitel) is usually near instant.

Their pricing is hard to beat on Canadian DID's and 800 DID's.

Reaction score
I'm receiving a few faxes on one of my voip.ms DID. It seems to work ok, I haven't see any redial so far.

The iax trunk is working well, but I've noticed a few month ago a few misses. I since created a SIP backup trunk and despite this isolated incident, none of my inbound calls had to used this backup trunk in the last four months.

iSEPIC

Reaction score
good for local DID but not toll free

I have to say I have had a good experience with voip.ms with local DIDs, but not toll free DIDs. The toll free numbers I have with them along with a few of my associates sound garbled a good 50% of the time, I also had the exact same problem with Vitelity, which is rumored to provide TF DIDs to voip.ms so it makes sense. I recommend flow route over them for toll free dies, and business quality DIDs (even though flow route is more expensive - they charge by the full 60 second billing on incoming calls but charge the industry standard every 6s on outgoing calls. So the incoming calls eat up your $ faster.

Sippy

Reaction score
tshif - For what it's worth, this DTMF bug has bit me with various providers (vitelity, voicepulse, voip.ms). The caveat is that it seemed to effect some phones more than others- the worst was Snom's cordless M3 (which has been no stranger to DTMF issues). Using inband was a partial cure, but Asterisk's fix outlined by tgtbad has solved this problem for all the phones so far.

I too have found voip.ms reliable, and like the multiple server locations. They are full featured comparing them with some of the others, but they do seem to be leaving money on the table offering unlimited channels- others charge on a per channel basis. Whether this will change or affect them in the long run is anyones guess.

Also their reseller program is interesting, anyone can customize rates and add signups under their account (using sub-accounts). But as wide open as it is, I wonder if it has the capacity to be abused. Vitelity, for example, requires approval and $300mo minimum volume for their resellers.
I have been a reseller for two years. It works great. I don't use the integration, I just manage the different sub accounts. Never had a problem

Sippy

Reaction score
I have been using voip.ms for about 4 months now without problems. Initially I had DTMF issues, but switching to INBAND seemed to fix it.

Voip.ms is the only provider I have used that has reliable faxing. I have never had a problem sending or receiving a fax through them.

Occasionally I experience longer than normal dial times (5-10 seconds), whereas my other provider (Unlimitel) is usually near instant.

Their pricing is hard to beat on Canadian DID's and 800 DID's.
I changed all of my dtmf to 2833rcf and no more problems with anybody

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.