FYI Voicemail BLF with FreePBX 2.11

Brian Simmons

Reaction score
According to this FreePBX blog post (freepbx.org/news/2013-04-06/subscribe-a-blf-button-to-monitor-a-voicemail-box), I should be able to assign a BLF to show when a voice mail is left. But when I check the hints, I do not see anything listed under *98ext#

I'm going to post on the FreePBX site too, but I was wondering if anyone else has done this and been successful. Thanks!

PIAF 2.0.6.4
FreePBX 2.11.0.0 beta 1.3
Asterisk 11.4.0
Centros 6.4 final
Kernel 2.6.32.358.2.1.e16.i686

Brian Simmons

Reaction score
I guess I didn't realize the FreePBX distro was modified in the PIAF distro. I just thought PIAF took the FreePBX distro and added a few things to it.

Brian Simmons

Reaction score
You are confusing FreePBX with the FreePBX distro, they are different things. PIAF uses FreePBX only.

I guess I am. :) Being a newbee, I didn't realize they were two different things.

So I guess the next question is to Ward and the other PIAF honchos - is it possible to include this feature in future PIAF releases? In other words, is it possible to bring that code from the FreePBX distro into the PIAF system - at least ones that have 2.11 as the basis?

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
This "feature" is an Asterisk module (note it is NOT a freepbx module) that was written by one of the developers of Asterisk for Schmoozecom during Astricon 2012 as a demo for us at schmoozecom to learn how to code better modules for Asterisk. This is why it is not included in PBX In a Flash

Brian Simmons

Reaction score
This "feature" is an Asterisk module (note it is NOT a freepbx module) that was written by one of the developers of Asterisk for Schmoozecom during Astricon 2012 as a demo for us at schmoozecom to learn how to code better modules for Asterisk. This is why it is not included in PBX In a Flash

Not to sound stupid here, but I'm not following why it isn't/cannot be included in the PIAF distro. Is it because you don't own the rights to the code and don't have permission from this developer to release it in such a manner? I think that is the gist of your post, but I'm not 100% clear. Thanks....

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
When it comes down to it pbx in a flash has goodies like incredible pbx that aren't available on the freepbx distro. The voicemail addition is only available on the freepbx distro. It is something we do that's different from the pbx in a flash distro like update-programs and update-source

Brian Simmons

Reaction score
When it comes down to it pbx in a flash has goodies like incredible pbx that aren't available on the freepbx distro. The voicemail addition is only available on the freepbx distro. It is something we do that's different from the pbx in a flash distro like update-programs and update-source

Thanks for the follow up.

phoneguy

Guru
Reaction score
lgaetz

Since github is down what exactly are you doing in your scripts. As this user asked about a patch we do to asterisk to provide this so I want clarification if you are using this patch or a different approach as to not confuse users.

phoneguy

Guru
Reaction score
OK well if anyone is using vm_notify this script will break that as we use extern notify for that module. Hope you are not just forcing the extern_notify setting into voicemail settings without verifying its not used already.

phoneguy

Guru
Reaction score
Nope not at all. Just want to make sure users know what they are doing and not breaking other things. Their was another script someone had done for something that modified externnotify and it broke a few customers vm_notify module and just want to make sure users are aware of what they are doing.

As you know the average person just follows a guide step by step and has no clue what the commands or scripts are doing or what side effects it will have.

I would think the better way to handle this is to grab the same patch we are using for asterisk and have Ward include the patch. Much cleaner and proper way.

phoneguy

Guru
Reaction score
Let me see what I can find. It should be up in Digium review board.

Brian Simmons

Reaction score
Let me see what I can find. It should be up in Digium review board.

That would be awesome. I'd love to see this added to the PIAF distro. Hopefully with the patch, Ward and the others could get this implemented without too much trouble.

phoneguy

Guru
Reaction score
Last time I asked Ward about this he said they dont provide patches to asterisk and their build process was not setup for it.

islandtech

Wassamassaw
Reaction score
Emetrotel ucx digital gateway has this feature on the Nortel Digital & Nortel IP phones

TheShniz

Guru
Reaction score
I just stumbled upon this and find it to be extraordinarily helpful... Tony, do you have a the link to the patch?

I've searched & searched (review board included) and can't seem to find it, very interested!

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
This is a FreePBX distro feature only. There is no patch. Sorry.

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
Horrible? There are plenty of pbx in a flag only features including one schmooze wrote specifically for pbx in a flash google voice users

I will look into the patch.

Oh, that's horrible... what patch is Tony referring to then?

TheShniz

Guru
Reaction score
I would greatly appreciate it Andrew!!!

The idea is to have the best of FreePBX, PiaF, Asterisk, etc... and thankfully there is very little you can't do w/ PiaF being installed from source! (I greatly enjoy your endpoint manager, but try to stay away from all things Google)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.