NO JOY Voice and Fax on same DID

Joe Lones

Reaction score
I'm trying to configure the inbound route that's setup for my single DID and have Detect Faxes to Yes. I'm unclear how the fax detection works or in fact if it works at all with when I have a destination to a Ring Group for voicemail. See image. When attempting to send a fax the voicemail always picks up.

OvKIFjY.png

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
Go through your call log to see what is happening when you try to send yourself a fax. At minimum, you should see that the PBX is paused "listening" for fax tones for about 4 seconds. If this is the case, try upping the wait time to 5 or 6 seconds.

If you don't see the 4 second wait, then there are other issues, but my works exactly as you have set up, except for the 5 second wait time.

Joe Lones

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the reply MGD4me.
I've change the wait time to 6 seconds, however, I do see this in the log:

Code:
NOTICE[3861][C-00000015] res_fax.c: FAX CNG detected but no fax extension in context (ext-group)

Seems like a misconfiguration issue of sorts... Guess I need to setup a fax extension. I'm trying to follow this tutorial but it seems old / missing pics http://nerdvittles.com/?p=738.

As for setup I haven't done much but install incrediblefax with the script that came bundled with the 13.2 iso and set the Detect Fax setting to Yes on the inbound route.

I'm testing with the sendfax command from my GV number to my DID.

I notice that when I go to Fax Configuration I get:

You are running Asterisk 13 which does NOT support Fax for Asterisk. If availible spandsp will be used instead.

Do I need to enable the spandsp? If so, how? How does AvantFax fit into all of this?

Last edited:

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
Joe,

I don't use Asterisk 13, so can't answer that question.

You could try using HP's Fax-back service. It is a number you dial, listen to the prompts, and it will call back your number with a Fax test page, within 60 seconds. Worth a try again.

Joe Lones

Reaction score
@MGD4me,
I'm trying to use HP's Fax-back service (1-888-473-2963) but all I hear is a busy tone when calling from my own DID. When calling from my GV trunk I get "The number is not answering". Been trying for days.

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
Joe,

It's been several years since I tried using the HP service, so either their procedure has changed, or my memory slipped a few gears. Probably the latter!

It appears that you first send THEM a 1-page B/W fax. If the transmission is successful, their system will capture your CallerId, and send a return fax back to YOU. It's important that your PBX sends them the CallerID of the correct phone number, of course.

For a complete write-up, see here: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00259105

Joe Lones

Reaction score
@MGD4me, thanks tried sending a fax to hp's fax-back service, but avantfax also reports a busy signal, so it appears there's something with their service or something with my setup

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.