TRY THIS USB Flash installer kickstart config file error

anomaly0617

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a few 1U appliances that I'm, uh... repurposing to be hardware PBX's. Frankly they will either be used as PBX's, other Linux servers, doorstops, or trash... so I figure this is as good a use as any.

In any case, they don't have CD-ROM drives on them, and anywhere I've been able to, I've been doing USB flash drive installations of OS'es and other things I used to use my trusty CD's and DVD's for... so I decided to give PIAF USB Flash installation a try.

The latest USB Flash installer for PIAF appears to be v1.7.5.7.1 on sourceforge, so I downloaded it and used Unetbootin to get it onto my Kingston G2 8GB flash drive. I booted and started the install and got a message indicating that it could not find the ks.cfg file, which is http://www.pbxinaflash.com/ks571dir/ks.cfg . I checked and I get a 404 error, or the equivalent of one (it's an image called 404.jpg).

So, this is an old version of PIAF, but the latest designed for USB Flash. But I thought I'd make mention of it since USB flash installations are growing in popularity. If needed I'll pull out a CD-ROM and attach it to the mainboard in order to do the install. But I figured this is worth mentioning so it can be fixed if it's truly a problem.

Cheers!
-Anomaly0617

TwigsUSAN

Guru
Reaction score
I have been able to use a USB drive to install with the latest version.

anomaly0617

Reaction score
I have been able to use a USB drive to install with the latest version.

I tried that first, actually, but I used the LinuxLive USB Creator to make my USB drive. I got the following error: "unable to download the kickstart file. Please modify the kickstart parameter below or press Cancel to proceed as an interactive installation." The path listed was cdrom:/ks.cfg.

I then went looking for instructions for installing via USB Flash drive and found this URL: http://nerdvittles.com/?p=806

Based on that I went and found the latest flash .iso of PIAF, which was 1.7.5.7.1. I used Unetbootin to make the USB Flash installation. When it booted I got the same error, but this time the path was http://www.pbxinaflash.com/ks571dir/ks.cfg.

Based on your post above I assumed the problem was LinuxLive USB Creator, so I just used Unetbootin to create my USB Flash installation with pbxinaflash20650-i386.iso (v2.0.6.5.0). I get the same error as above with cdrom:/ks.cfg. So I'm guessing my boot media isn't the issue. My guess is that the kernel load command that I find when pressing Alt-F3 where it says ks=cdrom:/ks.cfg is where the problem lies. I just don't know what specifically to enter there.

I would hypothesize that it's something to the tune of ks=sda1:/ks.cfg, but I haven't tried it yet. The fiance says it's time to stop hiding in the cave for the night and do something house-productive. :)

EDIT: I skirted this particular issue tonight by extracting the ks.cfg from the ISO file using 7-Zip and placing it in the root directory of a web server I have running. I then pointed the path to http://[IP.ADDR]/ks.cfg and it found it... and then promptly complained about not having a driver it needs. Again I go back to Alt-F3 and find that the network card was not only detected as eth0 but also queried DHCP and got an address... but yet I'm still being prompted for a network card driver. So, officially giving up for the night. Will come back to this adventure tomorrow. :)

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
I've used Ward's instructions as you mention in your post above successfully several times with PIAF 2.0.6.5 32 and 64 bit versions with Kingston 1GB and 4GB drives respectively. Make sure you follow the instructions to the letter.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
It's mostly a matter of trial and error. If one setup doesn't work, reverse the settings and try again. If that doesn't work, bump up to the next number. Rinse and repeat.

Reaction score
You could also use something like Win32DiskImager and use it to put the full 6.5 ISO on the USB and load from it that way. I've been successful in getting that to work as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.