TUTORIAL U Need Travelin' Man

dandy_don

Reaction score
Greeting Ward, et. al.,

First -- Thanks for all of your great work!

I've got traveling man working, but it works for inbound calls only. I can never ring the external softphone from anywhere behind the firewall. Calls into any of the extensions behind the firewall with the server work fine and I can also place calls to real world phones. However, I can not ever call the traveling man extension from any of the extensions inside the firewall.

I followed the instructions in the article, forwarded the ports as instructed, etc. When try calling extension 501, I get error code 503 shown on the internal extension I'm dialing from. If I phone into the server from a phone from the outside world and then try dialing out to extension 501, I get the voice message "Your call cannot be completed as dialed..."

I thought that once the remote extension successfully registers with the server, that the server should be able to communicate back to the remote extension...

I've posted this problem elsewhere but haven't gotten any responses, so I'm stumped. Is traveling man supposed to permit dialing out to the remote extension? If so, how should I troubleshoot this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

dandy_don

Reaction score
This is probably a very basic (stupid) question but I've looked and haven't yet found the reason... IAX uses a single port for everything and from what I have read, is much better at traversing NAT, etc. while keeping audio intact. And it seems to have other advantages over SIP. If this isn't correct, please help me to better understand.

So then why is using a SIP softphone vs. an IAX softphone better? Or what I'm actually asking is what is the advantage of using a remote SIP softphone instead of a remote IAX softphone?

And if using an IAX softphone, shouldn't/couldn't something akin to traveling man be used to open that port for only when it is needed by the legitimate remote IAX softphones? That way iptables could also protect the IAX port.

Thanks,
Don

ramboaz

Reaction score
No Audio

Hello,

I have been experimenting with Travelin' Man, and while my remote extension connects and registers there is no audio in either direction when calls are made.

If possible, I'd also like to be able to take advantage of calling features such as wake-up calls.

The setup is PIAF Purple on an Intel Atom 330 Mini-ITX board, 2GB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive behind a Linksys WRT54GS-based router (DD-WRT), UDP ports opened as per setup instructions. 10000-20000 open as well.
24Mbps Down/1Mbps Upload connection.
On the remote end, I have a Linksys PAP2T behind a Linksys E1000 router.
Do I need a STUN Server? Please let me know what I've done wrong, or what else needs to be done.

Thanks,
Ram

PIAF Purple:
Asterisk = ONLINE | Zap/Dahdi = UNKNOWN | MySQL = ONLINE │
│ SSH = ONLINE | Apache = ONLINE | Iptables = ONLINE │
│ Fail2ban = ONLINE | Internet = ONLINE | Ip6Tables = ONLINE │
│ BlueTooth = ONLINE | Hidd = ONLINE | NTPD = ONLINE │
│ SendMail = ONLINE | Samba = ONLINE | Webmin = ONLINE │
│ Ethernet0 = ONLINE | Ethernet1 = N/A | Wlan0 = N/A │
│ │
│ PBX in a Flash Version = 1.7.5.6 Running on *HARDWARE* │
│ FreePBX Version = 2.8.1.4 │
│ Running Asterisk Version = 1.8.4.1 │
│ Asterisk Source Version = UNKNOWN │
│ Zap/Dahdi Source Version = N/A │
│ Libpri Source Version = UNKNOWN │
│ IP Address = 192.168.1.105 on eth0 │
│ Operating System = CentOS release 5.7 (Final) │
│ Kernel Version = 2.6.18-238.19.1.el5 - 32 Bit │

dad311

Guru
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been experimenting with Travelin' Man, and while my remote extension connects and registers there is no audio in either direction when calls are made.

If possible, I'd also like to be able to take advantage of calling features such as wake-up calls.

The setup is PIAF Purple on an Intel Atom 330 Mini-ITX board, 2GB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive behind a Linksys WRT54GS-based router (DD-WRT), UDP ports opened as per setup instructions. 10000-20000 open as well.
24Mbps Down/1Mbps Upload connection.
On the remote end, I have a Linksys PAP2T behind a Linksys E1000 router.
Do I need a STUN Server? Please let me know what I've done wrong, or what else needs to be done.

Thanks,
Ram

PIAF Purple:
Asterisk = ONLINE | Zap/Dahdi = UNKNOWN | MySQL = ONLINE │
│ SSH = ONLINE | Apache = ONLINE | Iptables = ONLINE │
│ Fail2ban = ONLINE | Internet = ONLINE | Ip6Tables = ONLINE │
│ BlueTooth = ONLINE | Hidd = ONLINE | NTPD = ONLINE │
│ SendMail = ONLINE | Samba = ONLINE | Webmin = ONLINE │
│ Ethernet0 = ONLINE | Ethernet1 = N/A | Wlan0 = N/A │
│ │
│ PBX in a Flash Version = 1.7.5.6 Running on *HARDWARE* │
│ FreePBX Version = 2.8.1.4 │
│ Running Asterisk Version = 1.8.4.1 │
│ Asterisk Source Version = UNKNOWN │
│ Zap/Dahdi Source Version = N/A │
│ Libpri Source Version = UNKNOWN │
│ IP Address = 192.168.1.105 on eth0 │
│ Operating System = CentOS release 5.7 (Final) │
│ Kernel Version = 2.6.18-238.19.1.el5 - 32 Bit │

Why not install a OpenVPN server on the PBX and a OpenVPN client on your E1000 router (with dd-wrt firmware)? No NAT, no STUN, only one port to open up on the server side and your pap2t will be on the same network as your PBX.

http://pbxinaflash.com/community/threads/easy-openvpn-with-dd-wrt-clients.12198/?t=12198

Last edited by a moderator:

ramboaz

Reaction score
Why not install a OpenVPN server on the PBX and a OpenVPN client on your E1000 router (with dd-wrt firmware)? No NAT, no STUN, only one port to open up on the server side and your pap2t will be on the same network as your PBX.

http://pbxinaflash.com/community/threads/easy-openvpn-with-dd-wrt-clients.12198/?t=12198

Thanks for the prompt reply. The script says it works on CentOS 6+, and I'm running 5.7. Do I have to upgrade the CentOS first? Should I take the plunge and upgrade the whole system to the latest PIAF/Incredible PBX?

dad311

Guru
Reaction score
Attached is Easy OpenVPN-1.1.1. It should work on Centos 5.7.

Make sure your E1000 router version , supports dd-wrt.

Attachments

• EasyOpenVPN.1.1.1.tar.gz
    5.7 KB · Views: 1

ramboaz

Reaction score

Attached is Easy OpenVPN-1.1.1. It should work on Centos 5.7.

Make sure your E1000 router version , supports dd-wrt.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I appreciate the information and I'll post back in a day or so when I'm able to get to the remote location to do the updates.

dad311

Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply. I appreciate the information and I'll post back in a day or so when I'm able to get to the remote location to do the updates.

Try the attached script, its Easy OpenVPN v1.1.1(for centos 5) with v1.2 dd-wrt configuration. Its untested, but should work. Please let me know if it worked for you.

Attachments

• EasyOpenVPN1.1.1-dd-wrt.tar.gz
    5.6 KB · Views: 2

jjsmd

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, is TravellinMan still available and does it work on the latest PbxIaf and incredible PBX3?

Joe

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
That should work on 32-bit systems until the final release.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Ward is this the TravilingMan2 script ?

http://incrediblepbx.com/travelinman2.tar.gz

or a new one for IncrediblePBX 3
The one that is to be released is a ground up rewrite specifically for PBX in a Flash 2.0.6.2.X and you must have incredible pbx 3.0 installed. Older versions other versions wont work.

The new program is install-travelman2. Hopefully this will differentiate it from travelinman2.

TOm

virshu

Reaction score
I am copying a conversation from Google discussion:

Me: I have a question... Let's say my primary place is defined as FQDN (myplace.dyn.com). Everything is fine until IP changes. ipcheck goes through *.iptables, but the primary FQDN doesn't have associated *.iptables file. So, as soon as IP changes, I'll be locked.

Is this analysis correct? For now I created primary .iptables similar to other files that get created as result of add-fqdn. Can't hurt even if I am wrong :)

Ross Lindsay
They way TM works with FQDNs is that the IPChecker script checks for IP changes, and if the IP changes, updates the applicable rules in IPTables and removes the old ones.
Me:
I am sorry, Ross - either you misunderstand my question, or I misunderstand your answer... IPChecker script checks for IP changes of what? Isn't it running through account array that lists *.iptables files?

So, my question still remains: as implemented, wouldn't ipchecker miss the change in the IP of the primary FQDN?

yumbaman

Reaction score
The administrator Ip for me did not update after waiting over 1 hour using travelin' man 3. I checked cron in webmin and do not see a scheduled job. Can you point me to the location so I can check and make sure it's working.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Read the tutorial at the link above. It's all in there.

yumbaman

Reaction score
Thanks for replying Ward. (By the way, I am using RentPBX) The only reason why I didn't add ipchecker to the crontab was that I only have an administrator pc. I did create another dyndns account for my parents and added their account to the ipchecker. I tried to look for /root/administrator.iptables or the such, one was not created (administrator was never created, just parents) until I used add-fqdn for my parents. I then added the crontab command to run every 3 minutes. I don't know if you exactly answered my question, since I am trying to figure out how the server knows to do a check for administrator? I did nano -w ipchecker and did not see a reference to such an entry, but I am only skilled enough to read some scripting not a ton of "advanced" stuff. I am working on my scripting skills. I also looked over the script for setup. I don't understand in your post how it works "automatically" since computers run logic and not black magic(sarcasm). Thanks for being patient with me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.