FYI Trouble in Paradise at RingPlus

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
If you've been wondering what all the RingPlus discussion is about, here's the short answer. You pay a one-time fee and you get free Sprint service with X U.S. minutes, X text messages, and X data monthly forever AT NO COST. The added bonus for those of us using PBXs is you get a free SIP trunk on which you can use your X minutes every month as well. The SIP service runs on Sprint's Internet backbone.

SIP setup instructions for XiVO here and FreePBX GUI here.

Many have been frustrated with the signup/registration process and the hassle of getting a phone initially registered. Sprint "service" is not for mere mortals. :001 9898:

So here's the smart way to do it. There are literally dozens of new phones that are offered in the RingPlus Classifieds. These phones already have been set up so they work out of the box. They also come with at least some monetary credit to cover overages (for occasions when you call France or Canada or wherever).

If all you're looking for is a dirt-cheap SIP trunk for your PBX, today there are 3 phones for $90 each that include 2,000 U.S. minutes a month. Each of these also includes a $19 or $20 top-up balance for overages. There are a number of better phones with more minutes for a bit more. Once you have a phone, you can sign up for Deal Alerts from SlickDeals to upgrade your plan to more minutes and more data for a small, one-time fee OR you can swap out these phones for a better Sprint-compatible model at any time for $2. We have family members with the latest Sprint-compatible iPhones, Galaxy S7s, and Nexus 6Ps that work flawlessly with RingPlus. You can also change your number to your local area code for a couple bucks. These charges come out of your top-up balance.

Here's the question: where else can you get 2,000 U.S. SIP minutes a month forever for a one-time price, any price??

Fine Print: You have to make at least one call every two months to keep your number. You'll hear music and an occasional ad when placing outbound calls. The music and/or ad ends the second that your called party answers a call. Occasionally, the SIP service croaks for a day or two so don't put all of your SIP eggs in the RingPlus basket. But it remains the Best SIP Deal on the Planet.

Adding a Payment Method with RingPlus Classifieds

Last edited:

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Looks like this party is ending - all the accounts with any reasonable allotments are being wound up.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
*heh*

Sooooooo much entitlement in the RingPlus world. Me, I'm thrilled that I have had mostly-workable phone service for 17 months for a total investment for $6.26.

Here's my amusing RP saga. My guess is that many others have a similar story. Who, therefore, could blame RP for starting to phase out free plans like this. Who, therefore, would be surprised if RP folded.

I first signed up with RP on June 14, 2015, activating an old Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V. Monthly Plan: 200 minutes, 50 texts, 10 MB data. Cost: zero.

August 22, 2015 I snagged the "Pepper" monthly plan: 250 minutes, 500 texts, 10 MB data. This required a $5.00 "top-up" plus $1.26 in "taxes and fees" for a total of $6.26.

August 30, 2015: RP gave me a monthly bonus of 50 minutes and 50 MBs. Cost: zero.

September 12, 2015 I upgraded to the "VIP Pepper" monthly plan. Now we're talking: 250 minutes, 500 texts, 280 MBs. More than enough for my typically modest use. Cost to upgrade: zero. To take advantage of the data I spent $0.99 of my $5.00 balance (reducing it to $4.01) to switch to a used but pristine LV volt that I'd found on eBay for $19.99 shipped.

October 12, 2015: I snagged the Future - Phase 3 monthly plan. 1000 minutes/1000 texts/1000 MBs. Cost: zero. Not to mention a big bucket of VoIP-capable minutes!

I've had the Future - Phase 3 plan ever since; 13 months and counting. I still have $3.57 left in my balance, so I have spent $0.44 on MMS -- the only thing that costs me.

Texting and data quality have been excellent; no different, operationally, from my former Verizon service (first direct from the Mothership, then from Page Plus, then (and still) from TracFone). Voice quality is another matter -- it has been sub-par in many respects -- but my cell phone voice usage is minimal and for my purposes RP has proven to be quirky but acceptable for the price. The VoIP capability is also nice, but it has not exactly been "Six-Sigma."

My guess: a significant percentage of RingPlus users look like me. WHAT ON EARTH DO THEY HAVE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT???? I've been smiling every month that I don't have to pay for cell phone service.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Thanks, @tycho. As someone remarked here on another topic, it's amazing what people who contribute nothing come to expect from free offerings. I, too, hope RingPlus survives the storm, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
voiplads
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.