wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
wardmundy submitted a new resource:

Travelin' Man 4 - Remote IPtables WhiteListing by Phone

Operating System Requirements: PIAF-Green or Incredible PBX 11

Software Prerequisites:

1. Travelin' Man 3 - http://nerdvittles.com/?p=815
2. ODBC add-on to PIAF-Green - http://nerdvittles.com/?p=604 (already included with Incredible PBX 11)

Verifying Functional Prerequisites:

1. iptables -nL (shows a WhiteList is operational)
2. Dial 222 and enter 12345 and verify "Uncle Ward" response (shows ODBC works)

DO NOT PROCEED WITH...

Read more about this resource...

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
New Administrator Utilities have been added this morning. These let you manage accounts without resorting to phpMyAdmin if desired.

./list-accounts

./add-account acctno "account name" pin email permissions

./del-account acctno

./del-ipaddress acctno

See resource doc above for complete documentation and install instructions.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
BUG FIX: If you downloaded the TM4 tarball before 2:30 p.m. EDT today for use on a Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone Black, there was a bug in the script that handles the updates. This resulted in your IP address WhiteList entries NOT being activated in IPtables. Just run the following commands to fix the problem. If it's already fixed or doesn't exist, running the command will do no harm.

DO NOT RUN THESE COMMANDS ON A CentOS/ScientificLinux/PIAF OS server!!

Code:
sed -i 's|/usr/local/sbin/iptables-restart|/usr/bin/iptables-restart|' /root/tm4-update
sed -i 's|/usr/local/sbin/iptables-restart|/usr/bin/iptables-restart|' /root/tm4/tm4-update
/usr/bin/iptables-restart

Eric Peterson

Reaction score
I am so confused. Assuming one is in a hotel room attempting to connect to their IPBX or PIAF, what do they use to make the call to their Ipkall number in order to connect to their extension on the IPBX, or PIAF? How do you know in advance what your IP address is going to be to setup the 846 extension if you travel from city to city? Am I missing something here?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
For what you describe, the easiest solution is to configure a dynamic FQDN for yourself, add it to your whitelist with add-fqdn and ipchecker, and use a dynamic DNS updater on your smartphone or tablet to keep it up to date. When you travel to a different city with WiFi, the updater will keep the IP address of your FQDN current. You can read the Travelin' Man 3 tutorial for details.

Unfortunately, that didn't work for everybody... especially those with iPhones. So now there are two other ways to get your remote IP address into your whitelist: PortKnocker which lets you use a simple app on any smartphone to send a secret knock to your server which then enables a remote IP address OR TM4 which lets you call into your server from any phone and key in a remote IP address to be whitelisted. See this week's Nerd Vittles article for an overview.

Eric Peterson

Reaction score
Thanks for your response Ward. Ok, my problems are, #1 when trying PortKnocker it shows it successfully knocked my server, but my extension doesn't register with the server. The extension does however register fine when my iPad is connected to the inside network (same one the server is on). #2 After installing TM4, and setting up the user account, I still need a way to make a call on the iPad to my IpKall DID in order to get the IP address I am on remotely to whitelist on the server. If I don't have a registered extension, I have no way of calling anywhere, because I have no connection to the VoiP network. I realize I probably sound really stupid, and I am missing a fundamental piece of this puzzle. I really need to see the whole picture about how this works. I want to be able to us my iPad and Bria soft phone app when I travel, but so far, every time I take it outside my network, nothing works. Any help is greatly appreciated.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
With TM4, you make the call to your server from any regular or cell phone, not your VoIP phone. You could use your cellphone, for example.

With respect to PortKnocker, do you have a hardware-based firewall protecting your server? Have you mapped the 3 TCP ports of the knock sequence to your Asterisk server?? You say the knock is successful, but what does the log show: /var/log/knockd.log

Eric Peterson

Reaction score
Oh, so my desire to use this when I travel out of the country can not be met then. I was hoping to be able to use my DID number on IPBX to receive calls, but if I have to go through all of this, it will just be easier to use a Voip account directly from my Bria soft phone on the iPad. Is there any other way to be able to use remote extension? Thanks Ward.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Eric Peterson That's not quite what I said. Port knocker will work from anywhere you have an Internet connection... once it is set up correctly.

Eric Peterson

Reaction score
Then I probably have it setup wrong. However, I have since installed TM4. Will PortKnocker still work with TM4?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Read this week's Nerd Vittles article and answer the questions I posed, and we can figure it out from there.

fabian

Reaction score
Wardmundy, when I register the account with TM4, it does not give me any error, but when I dial in 864, it takes my account but not my pin. I tried many times, different pins (make sure don't start with 0) but the systems keeps telling me no match.
Any suggestion?

sigmaz

Reaction score
Wardmundy, when I register the account with TM4, it does not give me any error, but when I dial in 864, it takes my account but not my pin. I tried many times, different pins (make sure don't start with 0) but the systems keeps telling me no match.
Any suggestion?

I just posted the same question with the same issue in the forums....

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
It's on my list. In the meantime, try PortKnocker. Works like a champ.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.