SUGGESTIONS Transfer directly to voicemail using Grandstream Sidecar

Reaction score
So I have a customer with a NEC PBX where the operator has a DTerm Series E phone with two sidecars attached that provide BLF functionality. On an incoming call, she can select the sidecar button first and then selects either transfer button or transfer to voicemail button functions on the DTerm. Basically she chooses the destination and then the function.
With the Grandstream Extension panel GXP-2200-EXT programmed for BLF keys, I am able to use the Transfer button on the phone and select the BLF button for an extension to transfer the call to the appropriate extension. This sequence is opposite the Nec's sequence in that the function is selected first and then the destination. No big deal for transfers and it work just as well.
The problem comes when I want to transfer direct to voicemail. Normally with Asterisk, I can press ##*<dialedExtension#> to transfer a call directly to an extension's voicemail. I thought I should be able on the Grandstream to press Transfer * BLF button to do the same thing but it seems pressing the BLF erases the * from the dial string. The call instead is transferred to the extension as if the * was not entered. I can press Transfer button * <dialedExtension#> and the call goes to the voicemail but this requires the operator to remember all extension numbers and is many more key presses.
Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

Reaction score
So I have a customer with a NEC PBX where the operator has a DTerm Series E phone with two sidecars attached that provide BLF functionality. On an incoming call, she can select the sidecar button first and then selects either transfer button or transfer to voicemail button functions on the DTerm. Basically she chooses the destination and then the function.
With the Grandstream Extension panel GXP-2200-EXT programmed for BLF keys, I am able to use the Transfer button on the phone and select the BLF button for an extension to transfer the call to the appropriate extension. This sequence is opposite the Nec's sequence in that the function is selected first and then the destination. No big deal for transfers and it work just as well.
The problem comes when I want to transfer direct to voicemail. Normally with Asterisk, I can press ##*<dialedExtension#> to transfer a call directly to an extension's voicemail. I thought I should be able on the Grandstream to press Transfer * BLF button to do the same thing but it seems pressing the BLF erases the * from the dial string. The call instead is transferred to the extension as if the * was not entered. I can press Transfer button * <dialedExtension#> and the call goes to the voicemail but this requires the operator to remember all extension numbers and is many more key presses.
Does anyone have any suggestions on this?
I am not married to Grandstream. If someone knows an operator/receptionist phone that will work as required I am open to suggestions.

Last edited:

progs_00

Reaction score
Hi [email protected]

The only thing that comes to my mind is to make a different set of BLFs containing the asterisk with the number. In my 2160 it works fine

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
That's exactly what I had to do. Extra set of BLF's for direct to vmail.

progs_00

Reaction score
Great. Not the most ellegant solution nut gets the job done.
Thanks for getting back
Bye

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.