PIONEERS The Next Horizon: sipXecs

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
PS: sipXecs is really a dog and I hope folks don't waste too much more time with it. There is a reason no one talks about it...

I would agree, is it a pbx, is it an sbc, is it a sip capture tool, no it's not any of those successfully, lets call it sipxecs

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
arztde: We're not ruling out any options. In fact, we're exploring a couple of hybrid solutions that might include some closed-source code together with open source API tools that let you configure and enhance a PBX in any way you like without possibly compromising the "PBX engine" itself. For example, there might be a 10-user freeware edition of a commercial product for home and SBO use.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
We already have indicated we're developing a Gemeinschaft 3 version of Incredible PBX. :)

presenters-tool-belt-what-every-presenter-should-carry-by-jairuscope-62-638.jpg

ou812

Guru
Reaction score
With all the Freepbx "BS" maybe it's time to take a closer look at the new fork "sipXcom" I installed a system a few days ago set-up 4 sip phones a sip trunk and have inbound & outbound calling, voice mail with email and the system comes standard with HD audio, from the first look this looks like a powerful communication package, perhaps the PIAF team could take a closer look at this, I find that the forum "google groups" is lacking. If you decide to try this do not use there new ISO as it doesn't work, just load a centos mini and install from there, here is the wiki I used to install my test box. http://wiki.sipxcom.org/display/sipXcom/Installing+on+Fedora+and+CentOS

gary

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
installing sipXcom on a c@c centos 6.7 instance, will check it out

edit: wont let me complete install on 512mb ram

Mike Picher

Reaction score
Ward, thanks for highlighting the CentOS 6.7 problem. It wasn't actually a CentOS 6.7 problem, just something with the packaging that caused sipxopenfire to not install. If you 'yum install sipxopenfire' this fixes the older RPM installation. Also for a regular 'yum install sipxcom' that should be sorted now. The system works fine on CentOS 6.7.

15.08 was just released: http://wiki.sipxcom.org/display/sipXcom/sipXcom+15.08

As far as memory use / kitchen sink arguments, I hear ya. There are some things that got put in that should be just taken out. This is one of the reasons the installation ships with the bare minimum of services enabled. On larger and highly available installations the SIP Capture, SIP Trunking and NAT Traversal services wouldn't typically be used.

The sipX system has been around since 2004 and was never really designed to worry about how small a machine it could run on. It was designed to be an 'Enterprise Communications System' (that was the 'ecs' in sipXecs). The 5 to 50 user market wasn't a target market. As such, there's a lot of neat things that piaf can do that sipXcom can't. It doesn't sit in the call path and listen to DTMF tones. Also, sipXcom doesn't support digium/sangoma cards either. It likes off-server gateways and SBCs. The other thing that smaller installations struggle with is the use of DNS. The system relies heavily on DNS SRV records so folks coming from the Asterisk system world tend to struggle with that.

sipXcom is more bound technically by what SIP signaling allows it to do and from a feature perspective what does an enterprise of 500 to 50,000 users need in a communications system. Highly available systems managing 1,000-5,000 users and phones are commonplace on the open source platform. There are 10,000+ seat systems on the commercial platform (HA voicemail / openfire plus a few other commercial enhancements).

Thanks for looking and keep doing great things!

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
The installation destructions still state 'yum install sipxecs', is it 'yum install sipxcom' now?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.