FOOD FOR THOUGHT Thank you Nerdvittles & Ward !!

titodj

Reaction score
I just wanted to say, how grateful I am to the community, and Ward.
I started a few years back with asterisk@home, and thanks to that I found Nerdvittles, and have been a fan since, navigating the evolution from *@ Home to Elastix with Incredible PBX, (where I'm now) .I have found a lot of new stuff thanks to Ward and the community, not only VoIp information, but Tip and deals like years ago, the $25.00 a month Virgin Mobile deal, or the cheap Nortel phones but a few weeks ago I finally, decided to try ESXi (yes, thanks to Nerdvittles), and I'm amazed !!

I got me a used Dell PowerEdge III 1950 32GB mem 2-1TB hd 2x2.33 GHz quad-core Xeon E5410 server
And boy I'm happy !!

I'm running Elastix, Plex, Xeoma (8 Cams), Pi-Hole, and even a VPN Ubuntu machine with no problem !!

The down side, I had to take the server to the garage, because of the fans...
Hahaha Thank you guys !!!

henry

Reaction score
You don't need server hardware to run ESXi.
A regular i5/i7 will do everything your 1950 does.
It might not be as cheap but can be made dead quiet...

titodj

Reaction score
You don't need server hardware to run ESXi.
A regular i5/i7 will do everything your 1950 does.
It might not be as cheap but can be made dead quiet...
Yes, I had a i7 running the ESXi first but Xeoma drained the resources pretty quick, and I only paid $ 120.00 for the dual xeon server...
Now I have plenty of resources available, plus the server fans keep the critters away from the garage :)

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Thanks, @titodj. It's been a wild ride, and I feel like we're just getting started. :driving:

When you look at how many robots follow the PIAF Forum, it tells you just how awesome our users are and how much really good information is provided at no cost for the benefit of the entire VoIP community.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.