System Unresponsive after WAN failure

borsaid

Reaction score
Hi all,

I lost my internet service yesterday and I had some really whacky symptoms from the phone system. Everything became unresponsive, all endpoints lost their registration, the phone systems' web server was slowed to a crawl, but yet the system was perfectly pingable (and accessible via HTTP, albeit very slowly) from the LAN.

Upon rebooting, it took an abnormally long time to come back up (while WAN was still down) and when it eventually did, Asterisk failed to load (after logging into the console, the Daemon Status initially showed:

"Running Asterisk Version: LOADING"
then
"Running Asterisk Version: NO"
also
IP Connect: Offline

Now, I have two NICs in this PBX, one WAN the other LAN. WAN connects to a monowall, the LAN connects to where all my endpoints are.

I run almost purely VoIP, but I do have one POTS failover (SPA3000). Unfortunately, the failover was not graceful because when internet was lost, the SPA3000 also lost its registration.

I know there are a lot of missing details here. . .so I was just looking for some guesses as to why Asterisk failed when my internet failed. Is there anywhere I can look to try and unearth some additional info?

Oh. . .btw, when the internet came back up, everything was smoother than butter.

Reaction score
Do some searching... this is a well know issue that has been around for awhile. There are a few different fixes to this but it all relates to SIP registration.

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

You have just experienced the bug in asterisk where all the phones go offline when asterisk loses its sip registration. This can be avoided by using IAX providers.

The web pages will be unresponsive because of the kennonsoft interface with the RSS feed in there from Nerdivttles, it takes an age to do anything.

There is also some stuff in FreePBX that need internet access as well, so that slows down.

All I can suggest is get more reliable internet service. (and an IAX2 provider)

Joe

borsaid

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I've attempted to search based on "Internet failure", but could not find any posts with responses that hit on my topic.

Also, the search feature is extremely limited. I can't use words like SIP or WAN because they are too short.

I honestly didn't know how to describe my symptoms without writing this post. . any tips on what I should be searching for? That's essentially all I was looking for, rather than a definitive solution.

borsaid

Reaction score
Great find! Thank you so much guys. Sorry to clutter the forum with a repeat. . . feel free to delete

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muneer
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.