SOLVED Strange anomaly with OBI 200 adapter/ATA

rchalk

Reaction score
I have several Obi 202, 100, 110, 302, and 200 ATAs working fine with several providers, both Cable and DSL. I recently installed a 200 for a friend, and ran into a strange problem. He could not hear audio, but only on calls placed to Cell Phones, or my VOIP number. Calls to landlines worked fine. I tried the same adapter from my home, and it was fine, and we both use the SAME cable company for Internet service. The only difference is the IP address between his house and mine, although he may be off a different branch of the system, as we are a few miles apart.

To further confuse the issue, we set up a LinkSys PAP2T-NA at his house, and it works fine!

Anyone have any idea where I should start looking?

TIA
Richard

stanjohn

Not quite right
Reaction score
Routers and modem routers are the most common issue.

ostridge

Guru
Reaction score
The ports that those calls are using for rtp will need to be port forwarded to your device (asterisk or obi as applicable)

magna.vis

Guru
Reaction score
It sounds to me like UPnP may not be enabled on his router, or at the very least, not working properly. I know some routers will require you to enable UPnP before it actually works. If it's an older router, check that it's on the latest firmware. If you have an extra on hand, swap the router out and see if everything starts working. If he's not willing to put money into a new one, hack with with Tomato or DD-WRT or OpenWrt, or .... etc etc. But really, it wouldn't cost much to replace a SOHO router. Watch for deals on slightly older Asus routers, when they come out with new lines the expensive equipment of last year becomes affordable. I do think the folks here have it pegged though, given the issues you're having.

rchalk

Reaction score
Sorry for the long delay in responding, and thanks for the suggestions. It turned out to be the famous SIP-ALG setting, which is a hidden function in Asus router. I had to telnet in, and change the state using command-line instructions.

All is working fine now. Thanks again...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.