RECOMMENDATIONS SMB router

ErikU

Guru
Reaction score
As part of my piaf upgrade I'm planning, I would like to replace my old edgemarc router that supports my business. The edgemarc had a couple neat features, particularly the rate shaping and SIP proxy. I am facing some reliability and speed issues so it's time to upgrade.

We have a solid 100Mb connection from our ISP, so the replacement router should have gigabit WAN and LAN ports and fully support passing all available bandwidth. Some additional considerations:

- Ease of use and reliability. Should be setup and forgotten about. I don't want to have to deal with support calls when I'm out of the office.

- Good QOS tools and good support for sip. Since I plan to continue to use a single 100Mbs internet connection for SIP trunks (4 calls max) and house internet, I need to ensure high quality service on the SIP traffic.

- An easy to use VPN would be a bonus since I have a couple extensions that are out of the office.

Thoughts on what I should or should not be looking at?

-Erik

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
pfSense is great, but probably overkill for SOHO.

If you don't expect the router to do wireless Ubiquiti ER-X/ER-X-SFP are great (and capable) bargains(cost less than the annual power bill for pfSense on a used PC), or a good ARM based retail unit with OpenWRT, Gargoyle or Tomato.

ErikU

Guru
Reaction score
pfSense is overkill for sure. I'm trying to keep thing fairly simple and reliable.

I was thinking Cisco or maybe Juniper. I would prefer something that's considered business standard, but I don't need to go crazy. No wireless. Not sure which models would be appropriate though.

- Must be able to pass at least 100 Mbps through the WAN
- Must have quality QOS and/or VOIP settings to protect voip calls
- Simple to use and RELIABLE
- Decent VPN options a bonus

Brianmac

Reaction score
for dead easy routing and super easy VPN(site to site & roadwarrior) smoothwall express, but don't expect all the bells and whistles of PFSense(or the learning curve either). If you need more control then PFSense. There are so many linux distro routers to choose from. You could also go for a prefab router that has the features you are looking for as apposed to building your own...

Just my two cents...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.