SIP provider that allows me set CID, pass G722, G729

lifespeed

Reaction score
Callcentric won't pass a Caller ID provided by Asterisk. To bad, as they are a good provider in other respects.

Are there any SIP trunk providers that will pass the CID my PIAF box provides? What about support of codecs other than G711, G722 and G729 in particular? Really, what would be best is a provider that doesn't proxy the media, only SIP signaling.

Are there any providers that can provide DIDs in San Jose, CA and will pass the CID that is set by my PIAF box. I am forwarding incoming calls to my Callcentric DID to my mobile phone when I am away from home, but the CID that shows up is my Callcentric DID. And Callcentric doesn't appear likely to allow me to send the CID from the incoming call.

Linetux

Guru
Reaction score
Are there any providers that can provide DIDs in San Jose, CA

This isn't really a good question to ask. Due to the way the internet works, a provider in your 'town' might actually be worse than one 1,000 miles away.

Really the question you should ask is 'what provider has the lowest latency access from my network?'

You're really the best person to answer that question. I use voip.ms quite a bit - as a matter of fact, they do everything you're looking to do. They even have so many features I've been tempted to shut off my home PBX as I get all the features I really use on my Asterisk box from voip.ms for free.

Check your latency to their servers, and see if you can find one with good latency... I'm pretty sure you can.

Atlanta, GA (atlanta.voip.ms)
Chicago, IL (chicago.voip.ms)
Dallas, TX (dallas.voip.ms)
Houston, TX (houston.voip.ms)
Los Angeles, CA (losangeles.voip.ms)
New York, NY (newyork.voip.ms)
Seattle, WA (seattle.voip.ms)
Tampa, FL (tampa.voip.ms)
Montreal 2,QC (montreal2.voip.ms)
Toronto 2, ON (toronto2.voip.ms)
Montreal,QC (montreal.voip.ms)
Toronto, ON (toronto.voip.ms)
London, UK (london.voip.ms)

dswartz

Guru
Reaction score
then again, maybe he meant 'DIDs with a number in san jose?'

Linetux

Guru
Reaction score
Uh, well, yeah. If I'd read what I actually quoted, you're right.

So um, yes, they do have DID's in SNJS North and South :)

kevinfvc

Reaction score
I use VoIP.ms and Vitelity for G.711 and both work well. No experience w/ other CODECs but I'd like to set up G.729 some day.

I have DIDs in SJ. I connect to the LA POP for VoIP.ms. Works well.

lifespeed

Reaction score
This isn't really a good question to ask. Due to the way the internet works, a provider in your 'town' might actually be worse than one 1,000 miles away.

Really the question you should ask is 'what provider has the lowest latency access from my network?'

I don't think I phrased my question right, I want to be able to port a DID, so should have asked for provider that would do LNP.

The issue I have had with voip.ms is they don't support G722 calls, even when they are SIP-to-SIP. Callcentric supports G722 and G729.

I would like a provider that lets me set the CID on the PIAF box and supports (or doesn't interfere with) three codecs, G711, G722, G729.

lifespeed

Reaction score
Vitelity looks interesting, they support G729 but not G722. To be honest, I don't need them to transcode G722 or anything like that. Just pass it through unmolested or 'not proxy the RTP stream'.

Guess I need to get a test account, or contact their tech support.

Edit: perhaps I don't need G722 support at all, but just need to get SIP URI dialing in/out working (direct, not through the ITSP). Right? G722 is only worthwhile with an internet call, whereas G729 is good for VoIP over 3G transcoded to G711 on the PSTN with low bandwidth. So transcoding and ITSP support makes sense for G729.

ronw

Guru
Reaction score
From personal experience, Vitelity cannot port from Windstream Communications. If you port from AT&T, Verizon or Vonage, you should be OK.

They do charge $18 at the time you initiate the LNP process. The fee is non-refundable even if they are not successful.

Some providers only charge a fee after the port is complete.

You might also look at Flowroute.

zmatzkin

Reaction score
Edit: perhaps I don't need G722 support at all, but just need to get SIP URI dialing in/out working (direct, not through the ITSP). Right? G722 is only worthwhile with an internet call, whereas G729 is good for VoIP over 3G transcoded to G711 on the PSTN with low bandwidth. So transcoding and ITSP support makes sense for G729.

That is how I approach it. I recently moved from Vitelity to voip.ms, but I limit voip.ms to calls thru the PSTN. voip.ms has a lot of great features that come in really handy for me. I have family members set up with IP phones that make PSTN calls via voip.ms and internal G722 SIP calls via PIAF or OnSIP (they provide free SIP proxy accounts and you can even use your own domain name). You can even route calls from onSIP to voip.ms extensions or virtual dids for free. I also use voip.ms for G729 calls via the iPhone...

Z

lifespeed

Reaction score
That is how I approach it. I recently moved from Vitelity to voip.ms, but I limit voip.ms to calls thru the PSTN. voip.ms has a lot of great features that come in really handy for me. I have family members set up with IP phones that make PSTN calls via voip.ms and internal G722 SIP calls via PIAF or OnSIP (they provide free SIP proxy accounts and you can even use your own domain name). You can even route calls from onSIP to voip.ms extensions or virtual dids for free. I also use voip.ms for G729 calls via the iPhone...

Z

Sounds like you have SIP URI in and out setup for PIAF? Really the only way to make use of G722 for external calls. Only other option is G722 between two customers of one of the few providers who support it - Callcentric and Onsip.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.