SUGGESTIONS Ring groups go directly to voicemail, temporarily solved by rebooting FreePBX

imekul

Reaction score
I'm noticing a problem with my FreePBX 2.9.0.12 system. After the system is running for a day or two, incoming calls (going to ring groups) will immediately go to the "Destination if no answer," which in my case is a voicemail box for one of the extensions.

When all is working, if you dial my DID, it will ring Ring Group 299, which has about 15 extensions. After those extensions ring for 30 seconds, then it goes to VM for Extension 206.

But after the system is up for a period of time (maybe a day or two), all incoming calls to my DID will go directly to VM for 206. Also, dialing Ring Group 299 will go directly to VM.

Rebooting my server seems to fix this for a day or two.

I'm trying to figure out where to look! Next time I have the problem (which will probably be within 24-48 hours), I'm going to temporarily make Ring Group 299 only contain one or two extensions and see if that fixes anything.

Other important info: I have other DIDs going to other ring groups, and they behave the same way. So DID #2 that goes to Ring Group 399 will ring my extensions in the 300s, but when I'm having this problem then DID #2 and Ring Group 399 will go straight to the "Destination if no answer" choice for Ring Group 399.

I thought it might be a phone that had frozen or gone nuts that was the culprit, but I haven't found any phones misbehaving, and it seems curious that the problem is resolved by rebooting the server itself.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• freepbx.JPG
    freepbx.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 14

imekul

Reaction score
Okey dokey. I can try that.

By the way, I've been thinking of upgrading but have been hesitant due to the customizations (recordings, ring groups, time conditions, etc). Is there any "easy" way to migrate a lot of the settings if I were to just go the nuclear route and start from scratch with a fresh installation of the latest and greatest?

Thanks for the help!

islandtech

Wassamassaw
Reaction score
If the log file doesn't reveal anything, try deleting the ring group and rebuilding it.
OT
I have one system still in service that I considered upgrading because of its age. No issues with the system. Customer is happy.
It is from the period before color schemes! Asterisk 1.4.18.1 FreePBX 2.5.2

imekul

Reaction score
Okay, I managed to "catch" it in the act. Attached is the excerpt from /var/log/asterisk/full during the time it was failing. I dialed 599 (a ring group), and instead of ringing about 10 extensions, it went straight to the destination if no answer (voice mail on Extension 514).

Attachments

• root@pbx_~ $ tail -f _var_log_asterisk_full.txt
    21.3 KB · Views: 9

imekul

Reaction score
Oh, good catch! I wonder if something is eating up excess memory.

imekul

Reaction score
I may have just cracked the case.

Came across this thread: http://pbxinaflash.com/community/in...ht-to-voicemail-with-high-memory-usage.12235/

Realized that I had in fact changed my Google password fairly recently... and so I wonder if that was the culprit. Put the correct password in jabber.conf and rebooted.

Now it's just a waiting game! If all is well for a week or so, I'll consider the problem solved.

Your help pointed me in the right direction, lgaetz. Thank you!

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score

FreePBX
2.9.0.14 on 10.x.x.x

Got the same issue.. for some reason memory usage has been running up high of late..
this is one of the very first installs we ever did of PBXiaf, and it's run 3 businesses in the same facility flawlessly for years. Antique hardware (although we did duplicate the HDD over to SSD a couple years ago to ensure it wouldn't fail suddenly)..

It appears when memory usage spikes, the ring groups go direct to VM... no good idea why (little/no change to the system in years)..

Reboots don't always fix it either, but it went from not working to working quite suddenly, WHILE i was trying to figure out!

imekul

Reaction score
For me the cause was an incorrect Gmail password in my jabber.conf file. Putting the correct password in and rebooting seemed to take care of things for me.

Hope this helps!

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
having never set up gmail on the server, i'm guessing that's not the cause.. have't been able to trap any helpful info in a logfile yet, so i'm still chasing my tail...

imekul

Reaction score
@MacNix - did you ever solve this problem?

I think I'm having the issue again on a new server, and it's not related to Gmail this time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.