Resolved: Zaptel/Ztdummy missing; How to Fix

mwhitwor

Reaction score
Greetings all -

First, I have to take the opportunity of my first post to say thank you so very much to Ward and the rest of the team. I've been using Trixbox for about 15-18 months, and moved from that to PIAF (the VM version) a week ago. They have both been outstanding.

Now to my problem - we were experiencing the choppy sound issue with PIAF. I read in the forums about a newer kernel (ends in vm) that fixed the issue, and everything seemed to work well. Then I tried our conferencing, which has worked before brilliantly (on the Trixbox, anyway). I always get the invalid meeting/PIN message. Further research made me look at zaptel, and more specifically ztdummy (as I have no cards), and the modules don't exist. I believe I have to recompile some things, but I've not been able to do it right. I don't know if I am doing it wrong, or if there are bigger issues (some posts reference a need for usb_whci, which doesn't exist is this 2.6 version, nor does uhci.o, it is a slightly different file associated with usb - which may be a prereq for building ztdummy).

I hope this makes sense, because I really need to fix our conferencing. I presume that most anyone else who doesn't have any cards in their PBX and who implemented the "choppy sound" fix may also be seeing this problem. If it is not clear, let me know and I will try to post more info asap.

Thanks again.

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
cd /usr/src/zaptel
make clean
./configure
make
make install
make config

genzaptelconf

mwhitwor

Reaction score
Thanks! I ran the commands and it looks like it worked (and I don't get the error messages any more). I can't test conferencing until this afternoon, but I am confident this fixed it. Thanks again.

Lost Trunk

Guru
Reaction score
Complains about missing sources

cd /usr/src/zaptel
make clean
./configure
make
make install
make config

genzaptelconf

I know this is an old thread but hopefully someone will see this... we do not have any Zaptel hardware and I am noticing a lot of weirdness since installing PiaF, in particular once someone makes an IVR selection it can take a few seconds for the called phone to start ringing (not always, but it happens) and/or the caller doesn't hear ringing tone. When I log into the system it indicates that Zaptel is "OFFLINE" and beyond that the status command shows this:

* Running Asterisk Version : Asterisk 1.4.21.2
* Asterisk Source Version : 1.4.21.2
* Zaptel Source Version : 1.4.11
* Libpri Source Version : 1.4.6
* Addons Source Version : 1.4.7
CentOS release 5.2 (Final) - 32 Bit ** Kernel: 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5

Now here is the problem, when I try to follow the above instructions I get this:

You do not appear to have the sources for the 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5 kernel installed
(That happens at either make or make install, I forget which). And if I try to do "yum install kernel" and/or "yum install kernel-devel" it won't let me do that either:

$ yum install kernel-devel
Loading "fastestmirror" plugin
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* base: mirror.steadfast.net
* updates: mirror.fdcservers.net
* addons: wuarchive.wustl.edu
* extras: mirror.fdcservers.net
Excluding Packages from CentOS-5 - Base
Finished
Excluding Packages from CentOS-5 - Updates
Finished
Excluding Packages from CentOS-5 - Addons
Finished
Excluding Packages from CentOS-5 - Extras
Finished
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Requested dep: kernel-devel is provided by installed package
Nothing to do

So how can I get PiaF to use ztdummy?

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
1. cd /etc/yum.repod.d
2. open it up in an editor
3. Comment out each line that is exclude=kernel* by placing a # symbol in front of it.
4. Run yum install kernel-devel
5. uncomment all of the #exclude=kernel* by removing the #

try recompiling zaptel again using the steps in this message

http://pbxinaflash.com/community/th...stem-with-no-compatible-hardware.1965/?t=1965

I think this post may answer the question about why zaptel no worky.

gotta run they are calling my plane back in 10 days

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

Lost Trunk

Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, that worked, except that the first time it installed a newer version of kernel-devel than the actual kernel, and that didn't work. I then did yum remove kernel-devel, followed by yum install kernel-devel-2.6.18-92.1.6.el5 (specifying the needed version) and now I have green ONLINE for Zaptel! Thanks very much, Tom!

telefony

Reaction score
i get a slightly different error when i genzaptelconf

root@pbx:/usr/src/zaptel $ genzaptelconf
Notice: Configuration file is /etc/zaptel.conf
line 0: Unable to open master device '/dev/zap/ctl'

1 error(s) detected

root@pbx:/usr/src/zaptel $

krakastan

Guru
Reaction score
i get a slightly different error when i genzaptelconf

root@pbx:/usr/src/zaptel $ genzaptelconf
Notice: Configuration file is /etc/zaptel.conf
line 0: Unable to open master device '/dev/zap/ctl'

1 error(s) detected

root@pbx:/usr/src/zaptel $
I get the very same error - was this resolved - can anyone advise?

running version 1.2.9 (042310)

thanx

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muneer
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.