R.I.P. Replacing Google Voice in PIAF, Goodbye Google

Twilight Sparkle

https://voip.ms/en/invite/MjM2MjQ4
Reaction score
im using SIP STATION @ $25 a month and 2 did's

how do i get SMS working on my PBX in a Flash so i can get In/Out text?

bobkoure

Reaction score
If you're having issues while behind someone else's firewall, you might give IAX2 a shot.
For a softphone, I'd pick Zoiper. They have a beta version with BT headset support but I've been having trouble with this version picking up incoming calls. If you're using travelin' man, check to see that the IAX2 port is included (4569). The protocol uses a single port, which you can change - again useful if you're behind someone else's firewall.
The surprising part so far is SIP. I have better wireless access in most places I work then I do have cell access. So placing a call over SIP might give me better quality then making a call over the cell network.
My big problem seems to be with the CSipSimple app. It's none too reliable and I get no audio often.

bobkoure

Reaction score
... Walmart has a new plan with t-mobile. $30 a month for unlimited text, web and 100 minutes. Seems perfect for mostly SIP usage.
I've been wondering about that plan. I tried the T-mobile $30/mo for limited minutes, SMS and 5Gb internet but SIP was blocked. I could get TLS connected but, being an utter asterisk noob at the time, getting SIP/TLS up at my home end was beyond me (probably still is).
So, looking at this plan (Straight Talk?), they may mean "web" as in "ports associated with browsing" rather than "everything". If so, please let us (or at least me) know. SIP/TLS should work (it's over 443) and IAX2 should work (may have to move port to a commonly open UDP like DNS).
Also, if it's Straight Talk, if there's no T-Mobile connectivity, your voice connection will fail over to other GSM providers America Movil has a deal with (ATT, some regionals, even some GSM towers run by Verizon) - but just voice, not data (not even edge); not sure about SMS.

Twilight Sparkle

Reaction score
i try Vitelity.... it dose not Umnask *67 and im looking for a Provider that allows me to Unmask calls, i try Sip station works great for Unmask but no SMS.... so the hunt is on for a Cheap low cost Sip provider with SMS/Unmask *67

Reaction score
I've been wondering about that plan. I tried the T-mobile $30/mo for limited minutes, SMS and 5Gb internet but SIP was blocked. I could get TLS connected but, being an utter asterisk noob at the time, getting SIP/TLS up at my home end was beyond me (probably still is).
So, looking at this plan (Straight Talk?), they may mean "web" as in "ports associated with browsing" rather than "everything". If so, please let us (or at least me) know. SIP/TLS should work (it's over 443) and IAX2 should work (may have to move port to a commonly open UDP like DNS).
Also, if it's Straight Talk, if there's no T-Mobile connectivity, your voice connection will fail over to other GSM providers America Movil has a deal with (ATT, some regionals, even some GSM towers run by Verizon) - but just voice, not data (not even edge); not sure about SMS.

I grabbed the StraightTalk $45 unlimited starter the other day to try out.
Unfortunately it only seems to be connecting with EDGE, so while SIP worked..it didn't really WORK (i.e. it would register but was impossible to have a conversation).

Twilight Sparkle

Reaction score
I grabbed the StraightTalk $45 unlimited starter the other day to try out.
Unfortunately it only seems to be connecting with EDGE, so while SIP worked..it didn't really WORK (i.e. it would register but was impossible to have a conversation).

yes.... you are 100% right since EDGE is 2G Internet not 3G/4G not even LTE it wont sound good or even connect good...
if you wanna use a sip app use 4G or even better 4G LTE or 4G LTE-A

makes the call sounds wayyy better! you might wanna try AT&T or T-Mobile or Verizon 4G LTE if you wanna sip around or wi-fi

Twilight Sparkle

Reaction score
so i got Vitelity today.... so sad with it.... i got SMS ya.... but no unmask of caller id like i had on SIp station

i guess we can have Cake & Ice cream at the same time

wish i could find SIp provider with both SMS + Unmask of caller id.... for low rate

Reaction score
Heh..looking at my cheapo phone again..I don't think it does 3G/4G...lol...ah well. At some point I'll get a decent phone. :p

StraightTalk is actually using ATT according to my phone. I'm not sure they've even upgraded to 4G around here yet..they were pretty far behind rolling out 3G, which made all those "Get the new iPhone 3G!" commercials quite amusing.

bobkoure

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I'm having some difficulty understanding what you're asking. Maybe try separate questions?
That said...
Zoiper is fine. You can switch to a different softphone later if you want (or use different ones at the same time).

Once you have the PBX installed (virual machine, linux PC, raspberry pi), you then have the PBX connect to your SIP/DID provider (that's localphone). Usually there are instructions at the SIP/DID provider. In general, you set up a trunk and that connects to your provider.
Windows doesn't really come into it. If you are running a Zoiper softphone on your windows PC, Zoiper connects to an 'extension' on the PBX.

And I'm not even sure if that was what you were asking. Please don't take that as criticism - your English is way better than my French, and I have maybe ten words of German...

bobkoure

Reaction score
With localphone exist 2 trunks what makes me confused. Because all others have only one trunk.
Vitelity.com works this way: one trunk for inbound calls and one for outbound. It's not a problem. List the inbound DID in one or more of your inbound routes, list the outbound trunk in one or more of your outbound routes.

Porch

Guru
Reaction score
I made progress with address book syncing.
Using this how-to here, http://a3nm.net/blog/davdroid.html
I was able to sync my Android phones contacts to a Radicale CardDEV server running on my PIAF install.
Make a backup of your contacts before you do this (using the import/export options in the contact manager first, I lost mine a few times).
I had to export my existing phone contacts, delete them, then import them back in or they would not be under the DavDroid account and would not sync.
Once that was working, I wrote a perl script that parses through the contacts.vcf file and inserts them into the AsteriDex and FOP2 address book in PIAF.
http://pastebin.com/JCDcx5XL
I setup this script in a cronjob to run every hour. Now when I add someone name to my phone, PIAF gets updates and the CID works properly when they call me.

Note that this is one way sync only. All the contacts are wiped out of the AsteriDex and FOP2 address book before being added again. Also, this is for a single user, but you can modify it for multiple people if you wish.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Just FYI on making SIP calls over 3G networks (ie not LTE; to be clear what the US carriers called 4G isn't. 4G is LTE. It's probably OK to call UMTS/HSDPA 3.5G, but just probably). It is pretty difficult to make those calls when the phone is in motion - the variability you get in latency based on signal strength and other factors makes the calls pretty choppy. This seems to improve wtih 3.5G and improves even more with LTE (I understand the carriers have Voice over LTE in the works which is in a way VOIP). But the coverage has to be good where you are for it to work, or you have to be able to be tolerant of the occasional choppy voice problem. We're fortunate up here in the major cities in the great white north - LTE coverage is pretty good. So I've been able to use IAX (not SIP) on the LTE networks. SIP did not work because the carriers are doing a NAT and the call completes but there's no audio. IAX was fine.

Porch

Guru
Reaction score
I don't use VOIP over SIP. PIAF calls my cell direct when I am off wifi, and I use a DISA when calling out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.