TIPS Questions That Are Burning Inside Me

howie954

Reaction score
Please forgive me for my ignorance. I have been doing a lot of testing, trial and error and experimentation. I have noticed inconsistent results, hopefully there is an expert out there to answer these questions:

With my Vitelity Account which is using FreePBX and on Asterisk 13 and my extensions are set to ChanSip. With my Zoiper App I stay connected to vitelity no matter what, even on the mobile network.

With my CloutAtCost account my Zoiper App does not connect to my IncrediblePBX server no matter what on the data network, only when WIFI is enabled and connected. Also, if on ChanSip Zoiper does not connect at all, only on PJSip.

So why is that? Why does Zoiper connect to vitelity no matter whaere I am and on ChanSip? Why doesn't Zoiper connect to CloudAtCost in my WIFI network unless it is on PJSip and why doesn't it connect at all when I am out of the WIFI network?

Are there settings that I am not aware of?

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
On your CloudatCost account, check your ports. Is ChanSIP set to 5060? I'd try to move PJsip to 5061 and ChanSIP to 5060.

mainenotarynet

Not really a Guru - Just a long time user
Reaction score
Also Vitelity directly does not use the IncrediblePBX whitelists which locks down your system (prevents $100,000 phone bills)

I have the same problem with IP tables as I use GS Wave and where port 5060 is locked down the only time my cell ext connects is at home (where I DON'T need it and no where else as IPs change on wifi networks and on the Cellulat data plans. You could open port 5060 to accept every IP - If you want to compromise your system. I do have add-fqdn and add-ip accounts set up but how do you do that on a cellular network where the IP keeps changing.

Just a few thoughts.

howie954

Reaction score
OK, well I got Chan_Sip working, just cannot get it to work outside WIFI.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
As mentioned, since you're using Incredible, it locks down IPtables and only allows activity via IP addresses that are known. You need to use a method that allows you to connect with an IP known. Options include knock codes, travelin man, and VPN.

mainenotarynet

Not really a Guru - Just a long time user
Reaction score
Actually krzykat, the OP didn't mention IncrediblePBX, I did -- OP said FreePBX with Asterisk 13. But since he is asking on OUR forum PBX in a Flash (which IS IncrediblePBX as far as I'm concerned) I just assumed he is locked down through IPTables.

The thing with this method is a Cell Phone with an App on the Cell Company's data network changes IPs as you drive so you are NOT going to update each time you loose your connection whilst you drive. Another method must exist to allow for the constant switching on a single device (dyndns for this purpose I think would suck).

Is there such a thing as MACTables since I believe each ethernet or wireless port must have a unique address, why not use them. I know some routers can clone a MAC to make ISPs see one computer and may be able to be spoofed as CIDs can be.

My ISP changed my IP recently after over a year (locked down to IP of house = dead phones. yes I have a domain name for my home and yes the IPTables has that but the pain I had to go through to fix this when a MACTable would have kept things working fine.

What this would mean however is each device would have to be added for both wired MAC and (If it has the capability) Wireless MAC (is there such a device as a Cell MAC for when you connect through your data plan or does it use the wireless MAC as a bridge. so each Device has 3 entries instead of one IP, but if it allows you to have an App on your cell back to your Cloud Box or VM or whatever that stays working wherever you are without constant updating or getting an extra did to 'Call In' to turn on then wait X mins for your cron to catch up wouldn't it be worth investigating

Enough diatribe but read OP again I don't know if he's Locked Down or not

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
my Zoiper App does not connect to my IncrediblePBX server no matter what on the data network

He did mention Incredible. As for MAC, I have done some with MAC addresses, but realize that MAC can be cloned. I rather think VPN would be best in his scenario if I understand him properly.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@howie954 Please post the info from status so we're not guessing what your actual platform is.

henry

Reaction score
...only when WIFI is enabled and connected.
If this means it works on ANY Wi-Fi network, then iptables can't be the culprit...
Also, if on ChanSip Zoiper does not connect at all, only on PJSip.
This is most likely a port issue: 5060 vs. 5061. PJSIP is 5060 by default.
Since you use Zoiper, go IAX instead... No port issues, no NAT issues...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.