FYI Proxmox 4 Repositories

TechnicalJohn

Reaction score
Wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I wanted to mention that I think there is a factual problem with the latest post to the Nerd Vittles blog regarding the Proxmox repositories and subscription.

Specifically, this part regarding the repos for Proxmox 4:
First, to stay current with software fixes and updates, you have to pay the piper by signing up for the annual support license. This turned out to be a deal breaker for a couple of reasons. It was expensive since it’s based upon the number of CPUs in your platform.​
  1. As far as I can tell, the setup for Proxmox repos have not changed from 3 to 4. If you look at the Proxmox Repositories wiki page, you'll see that both 3 and 4 have "No-Subscription" repos. Both in 3 and 4 they are listed as "The pve-no-subscription repo can be used for testing and non-production use. Its not recommended to run on production servers as these packages are not always heavily tested and validated. As the name suggests, there is no Proxmox VE Subscription Key needed to access this repository." I have always used the "No-Subscription" repos in version 3 and had no issues. But they put that warning there to make sure you understand that you're taking a little risk in using them, which is no big deal for most of us.
  2. The annual support license is based on the CPU-Socket count, not the CPU count (which would include cores). You can see this detail if you read carefully the description on the service shopping page: "Each Proxmox VE server needs a subscription with the right CPU-socket count." (bold-italics mine) SO really, for the box being recommended in that blog post, the cost would be about $65/year for 1 CPU socket, instead of $400/year. (the post does mention "by Proxmox calculation", so perhaps I'm missing something...?)
I value the information published at NerdVittles.com, and I know Ward tries to be factual. So I thought I'd posit the above and see if either it needs to be fixed, or if I'm missing something.

I'm also very interested in moving my Proxmox 3 cluster to version 4, so if there really is a repo issue then I need to know now before I get too far! ;)

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Our test server reports 4 CPUs which I assume is what is reported when you sign up for a support contract.

TechnicalJohn

Reaction score
Yes, and it's sometimes a point of confusion with ANY software wanting to require support per "CPU"... And most are per "socket", not per reported CPU.

But perhaps this point of calculation should be clarified, since the Proxmox web store indicates one thing, but the software seems to report something a little different.

If it's $65USD / year for one CPU socket (regardless of reported cores) then that's a pretty reasonable price to ensure you have access to the most stable and tested repo.

Last edited:

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
My 2CWAE . . .

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_repositories

for one recipe, work out if you are following the no-subscription rules or not, ethically, certainly not for a production machine, legally . . . I'm not a lawyer. But this post is in "Developer's corner" so get it working to your satisfaction , then fess up if you use it.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.