Preserve Caller ID for forwarded call

lifespeed

Reaction score
With some help I was able to redirect incoming calls to my mobile phone when it's Android SIP SIP client, Bria, was not registered to my PIAF box (I'm not at home) per this thread.

Of course, calls that are received and then forwarded to my mobile (which is defined as an extension within a ring group) show my own VoIP DID as the caller ID.

Is there some way to preserve the incoming caller ID and use it as the Caller ID when the call is redirected to my mobile phone? Sure would be nice . . .

Last edited by a moderator:

kh40s

Guru
Reaction score
With some help I was able to redirect incoming calls to my mobile phone when it's Android SIP SIP client, Bria, was not registered to my PIAF box (I'm not at home) per this thread.

Of course, calls that are received and then forwarded to my mobile (which is defined as an extension within a ring group) show my own VoIP DID as the caller ID.

Is there some way to preserve the incoming caller ID and use it as the Caller ID when the call is redirected to my mobile phone? Sure would be nice . . .

It should do so automagically, except if you have one of the callerid override toggles checked in an extension defintion, outbound route or trunk. Or if your outbound trunk provider does not permit you to set the callerid yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

lifespeed

Reaction score
I think I may have the caller ID set in the outbound route, I'll check tonight.

kh40s

Guru
Reaction score
It's ok to have the callerid set, just don't override it

lifespeed

Reaction score
Don't many ITSP's refuse to pass any caller ID except for the DID you purchased, or a small, fixed set of DID's they have 'verified'?

I am using Callcentric. I'll ask them.

lifespeed

Reaction score
Callcentric won't pass a Caller ID provided by Asterisk. To bad, as they are a good provider in other respects.

Are there any SIP trunk providers that will pass the CID my PIAF box provides? What about support of codecs other than G711, G722 and G729 in particular?

It sounds like I may end up looking for another trunk provider . . .

phinphan

Reaction score
Vitelity and Voip.MS both pass the caller ID so it will work just fine. I do this everyday.

lifespeed

Reaction score
Vitelity and Voip.MS both pass the caller ID so it will work just fine. I do this everyday.

They pass the caller ID from your PIAF box, even if it is a different number than the DID you have with them?

I am talking about sending the CID of the call incoming to asterisk in an 'outgoing call', which is what a redirect of an incoming call to an external mobile looks like.

Let's make sure we are talking about the same thing; Random outgoing caller ID from PIAF not associated with your vitelity or voip.ms account.

kh40s

Guru
Reaction score
My IAX2 trunk provider lets me pass anything I want as a callerid. If you want the number forwarded properly, this is what you need. You'll be more likely to find this facility with a "wholesale" trunk provider, ie., one who mostly serves businesses.

phinphan

Reaction score
Lifespeed, yes they will both pass the incoming call that you forward out caller id. I have a ring group at my office that rings my desk at work, desk at home and cell phone. When it rings on my cell phone, I see the same caller ID as on my desk phones. Forwarding would not work very well without it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chemba24
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.