PAP2 Trouble with Feature Codes

sims

Reaction score
my setup:

PBXinaflash installed on Walmart Everex computer, using the custom build. all options are enabled in Feature Code Admin (in Freepbx). two extensions -- both through one PAP2. both asterisk and pap2 are behind the same router. i can use trunks as well as call to the other extension from one extension. everything is SIP.

problem:

i cannot seem to get most of the features to work. ** does not pick up the other extension. ## does not allow me to do blind call transfer. 888 asks me for a channel number to listen in -- and i could not find the channel number even after much research online.

what i have done so far:

since i could not even record an announcement, i went into PAP2 interface and deleted all the *XX codes from one of the pages.

------

any clues as to how i can fix the situation?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the PAP2 has feature codes of its own which would take precedence over those in Asterisk since your phone connection hits the PAP2 before it hits the Asterisk box. If you have deleted all the feature codes on the PAP2 (and I don't have one to tell you where they all are), then the feature codes will work with Asterisk. The Orgasmatron build has all of them enabled.

sims

Reaction score
first thing i tested was call pickup.

situation: call comes in from outside. rings on one extension. i pick up another extension and dial **. the call is not picked up :confused5:.

here is the log of what i get. any clues would be helpful.

btw, i did setup call group and pickup group (in FreePBX extension definition) to be the same (and more specifically have a value of 1). this was advised in the following link.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/641216.html

---
-- Executing [**@from-internal:1] ResetCDR("SIP/104-09fbd668", "") in new stack
-- Executing [**@from-internal:2] NoCDR("SIP/104-09fbd668", "") in new stack
-- Executing [**@from-internal:3] Wait("SIP/104-09fbd668", "1") in new stack
-- Executing [**@from-internal:4] Playback("SIP/104-09fbd668", "silence/1&feature-not-avail-line&silence/1&cannot-complete-as-dialed&check-number-dial-again|noanswer") in new stack
-- <SIP/104-09fbd668> Playing 'silence/1' (language 'en')
-- <SIP/104-09fbd668> Playing 'feature-not-avail-line' (language 'en')
-- <SIP/104-09fbd668> Playing 'cannot-complete-as-dialed' (language 'en')
-- <SIP/104-09fbd668> Playing 'check-number-dial-again' (language 'en')

dobbs

Reaction score
first thing i tested was call pickup.

situation: call comes in from outside. rings on one extension. i pick up another extension and dial **. the call is not picked up :confused5:.

here is the log of what i get. any clues would be helpful.

btw, i did setup call group and pickup group (in FreePBX extension definition) to be the same (and more specifically have a value of 1). this was advised in the following link.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/641216.html

---
-- Executing [**@from-internal:1] ResetCDR("SIP/104-09fbd668", "") in new stack
-- Executing [**@from-internal:2] NoCDR("SIP/104-09fbd668", "") in new stack
-- Executing [**@from-internal:3] Wait("SIP/104-09fbd668", "1") in new stack
-- Executing [**@from-internal:4] Playback("SIP/104-09fbd668", "silence/1&feature-not-avail-line&silence/1&cannot-complete-as-dialed&check-number-dial-again|noanswer") in new stack
-- <SIP/104-09fbd668> Playing 'feature-not-avail-line' (language 'en')
-- <SIP/104-09fbd668> Playing 'cannot-complete-as-dialed' (language 'en')
-- <SIP/104-09fbd668> Playing 'check-number-dial-again' (language 'en')

I'm not sure exactly what you were expecting, but if it was a shared line you are going to need to check out conferencing or call transfer instead.

sims

Reaction score
i was expecting to be able to talk to the outside caller. extension 103 was ringing because there was an inbound call ringing on 103. i wanted to take the call from 104. isn't that what ** is supposed to achieve?

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

Looking into this in a bit more detail, it all looks a little strange. Callpickup, transfer etc are all configured in Asterisk in features.conf and its includes.

If I look at a stock standard install, then the contents of features_featuremap_additional.conf are as follows:-

blindxfer=##
atxfer=*2
automon=*1
disconnect=**

This would suggest that ** disconnects, not picks up.

Try adding this line to features_general_custom.conf

pickupexten = *8

Then do a *8 to pick up. VoIP info suggests, as Ward did, that feature codes on the ATA could interfere with sending the * so you may try 200 instead of *8, provided you have not got an extension 200.

When you have added the line, do an amportal restart to enable it.

Joe

just tested the above solution here with GXP2000's and worked fine, however I found that *8# was a bit quicker, as # is used as the send key.

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
I dropped a quick email to Phillipe Lindeheimer of FreePBX regarding this post.

I'm not sure how the call pick up is supposed to work, in the GUI, it says ** to pickup (for GXP2000s) however, ** in features.conf is ** = disconnect, I think you may need a pickupexten in there - *8 is the default Asterisk key sequence.

And his reply.

Nope – and yes it is a bit confusing.

** is a special firmware enabled feature code in phones like Aastra, GPX and SNOM I think. It ties into a blf key and will send call pickup to a ringing blf and otherwise dial the blf if not ringing. (It’s pretty handy). Some phone firmwares let you define the code (such as Aastra I know).

** hangup, of which asterisk defaults to *, is the in call hangup code. * is bad (kind of like # is bad for transfers) so we redefine it. However, it is only in call so no conflict there, and it has to be enabled with h and/or H and is mostly useful in things like the new DISA. As far as callpickup, the user never uses the ** typically.

The *8 is different. Where as ** is directed call pickup, to direct it at only a specific extension, *8 is group call pickup and is controlled by a combination of callgroups and pickupgroups. The ** directed call pickup has been broken for some time dealing with things like ringgoups, etc. I added a bunch of code in 2.5 to try and better handle this. You can review the generated dialplan for a system with ringgoups defined in extensions_additional.conf.

So the upshot of the conversation is that ** and *8 are two different things. ** would appear to be a phone feature, and the idea is that you can pick up a particular phone, where as *8 is an Asterisk feature, and will pick up any phone in the your callgroup / pickup group defined in against the extension.

Joe

sims

Reaction score
wow. this was complicated! i think for now, i will work with *8. just enabled it and it appears to be working. thanks!

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Keep in mind that when you added a PAP2 into the mix, it introduced a huge layer of complexity to a system that is fairly painless with a Plain Old SIP Telephone. ;)

sims

Reaction score
i agree. but the ATA is so much more convenient (external) and cheaper! got to live with complexity then :smile5:

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.