TIPS Nortel IP 1535 $27.95

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Already did that on a Turkey special with no luck. Can't find an FTP enable option either. :sifone:

rxcomm

Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm... strange. This result:
"Connected to 192.168.0.202, for user root FTP download has failed!"
tells me that the connection was made. The download failed - presumably because of write permission errors. If it can't connect for some reason, you should get this error message:
FTP connection has failed! Attempted to connect to x.x.x.x for user root
Dave

vanDivX

Guru
Reaction score
Instead at prompt (to change 'chown and chgrp') I did that in WINSCP by selecting properties of the folder in question and checking Write fields for everybody as well as X which I think is Delete permission

That gave '777' and download to browser now works :)

This is what it pulled out (it won't show the 'value input fields' here but they are there):

Configure Nortel IP 1535 Phone Settings // Connected to 192.168.1.200, for user root
Downloaded config files from 192.168.1.200
STUN Server Address:
Domain:
STUN Enable (1=yes, 2=no):
Display Name:
Proxy Address:
Account Number:
Proxy Port:
Register Port:
Authorization Name:
Administrator Password:
Voice Mail Code:
Enable NTP? (1=yes, 0=no):
Timezone Offset (hrs):
Enable Screen Saver (1=yes, 0=no):
Disable Camera? (1=yes, 0=no):
Screen Saver Timeout (sec):
Handset Volume (0-5):
Language:
I changed Voicemail Code and also tried Screensaver Timeout but the changes don't show on the phone, does it need to be rebooted? I suppose that would be by powering down and back up since the phone doesn't seem to have any Reboot setting?

Edit: Rebooting the phone after uploading the changes
Moving config files to phoneUploading config files to phone...
New config files have been uploaded!
doesn't make any change to configuration.

BTW what is Domain setting? I thought that's Register server IP or FQDN but turns up you can input in whatever and it makes no difference that I can tell, the phone still registers just fine.
You can set Authorization Name but not Secret for the extension, I suppose that has to be done by going into the phone...

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Yep. That worked. You have to change the directory ownership and permissions in addition to the files. Here's the tarball with correct ownership and permissions.

HTML:
cd /var/www/html
wget http://pbxinaflash.net/source/nortel1535/nortel1535.tar.gz
tar zxvf nortel1535.tar.gz
rm nortel1535.tar.gz

Attachments

• nortel1535.tar.gz
    15.9 KB · Views: 20

rxcomm

Guru
Reaction score
Yes - these two commands should do it:

chown asterisk /var/www/html/nortel1535
chgrp asterisk /var/www/html/nortel1535

You shouldn't need to add write permission for user and group. That directory's permissions should look like:

4 drwxr-xr-x 3 asterisk asterisk 4096 Nov 4 14:25 nortel1535

Dave

PS: Also, STUN Enable should say (1=yes, 0=no). Fixed in the download tarball.

tshif

Guru
Reaction score
12) I took a stab at writing a web provisioning interface for these phones. Since the phones do not have a web server on them, the route I took was to download some of the config files via ftp, edit them, and put the edited versions back on the phone. This provisioning interface has been tested on exactly one phone (mine), but if you would like to give it a try, you can find php code and instructions at http://dave.tycho.ws/n1535. As always, proceed with caution and at your own risk.

Dave

AWESOME! This works like a charm.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I just got mine delivered a few minutes ago! v.1 firmware 2.5.0 - They took $59 plus shipping for just 1. That was at the beginning of this week.
--
The phone has to have the smarts to interpret some signal as meaning "take the phone off hook." Not sure it has that. At least no one has discovered it thus far. Anybody read the manual? :rolleyes:
I looked at most of this thread and did not see whether this was answered or not, but for me, dialing *802001 (2001 is extension) it auto answers just fine like a normal intercom call. I have 1.7.5.5.2 Silver.
--
I am now using WiFi on this phone! Unsecured, though. Not too worried, though. The walls/roof in my house deflect any and all signals. :( WiFi nightmare. But the phone is in the same room as the AP, so all is well. To get WiFi working for me, I enabled it, went back two (or maybe 1) menu(s) and then restarted the wireless interface. Then I manually :( typed in the SSID and then hit the scan APs button and it worked! I also am using a complex password. Just took forever to type it in!
Thanks for the awesome tip! :D

ojthecat

Reaction score
I was wondering if you all think the traveling man script would work with these phone. I will test but it will probably be next week before I have the time to devote to it.

mtennant

Guru
Reaction score
I don't get it. The Turkey phones I got have H/W 1.0 and F/W 0.2.89. The English/Nortel branded phones have F/W 0.2.50. The 0.2.50 ones have the Telnet capability, but the later F/W 0.2.89 (I'm assuming later/improved) don't. What gives?

Ok, I finally answered my own question. The Turkey phones running F/W 0.2.89 do have Telnet capability. You just connect and it works. The earlier F/W version 0.2.50 simply has the Telnet on/off feature.

So the F/W 0.2.89 is probably the latest version so far, but apparently not available in a file that we can use for upgrading purposes.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Also, if you would like to look at a live webcam of Myrtle Beach, SC on your 1535, I discovered this website: oceanfrontcam.com - and you can get an image for the 1535 here - bit.ly/oceancam-m. Aren't JPEG's wonderful?
--
Does anyone know if it is possible to get a file off of the phone and onto a computer? I can't figure out the FTP login and cant get it with telnet.
Thanks

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
I *believe* using the resources provided in this thread that I can use:

ftp://ftp.arm.linux.org.uk/pub/linux/arm/people/xscale/mainstone/04-28-2004/README.txt

and

http://www.ailis.de/~k/archives/19-ARM-cross-compiling-howto.html#busybox

To cross-compile busybox 1.17.3. Then upload the binary to a webserver and wget it and *maybe* just *maybe* it will run on the phone. If busybox 1.17.3 runs well thats great news as it contains t*f*t*p, httpd....etc

will have to play with it. I'm not sure how far I can get in the make process on my mac, though I am very curious

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
So I realized that ward already posted the open source firmware which actually contains the patched version of the linux kernel for these phones.

I'm going to try to cross compile against the kernel provided

Update1: So far I'm unable to cross-compile this in my Mac (FreeBSD) environment, however the process seems to be working in my PBXIAF distro..continuing on
Update2: I was able to install the arm cross compile library
Update3: I am currently building the kernel for these phones. Pretty cool stuff I'm seeing that proves I'm on the right track:
Code:
  Intel NMMNSxBVS Development Platform (CONFIG_ARCH_MAINSTONE) [Y/n/?] 
  LG VideoPhone (CONFIG_ARCH_LGVP) [N/y/?] (NEW) y
  LG VideoPhone 2800 (CONFIG_LGVP_2800) [N/y/?] (NEW) y
  LG VideoPhone 1850 (CONFIG_LGVP_1850) [N/y/?] (NEW) n
  LG VideoPhone 2850 (CONFIG_LGVP_2850) [N/y/?] (NEW) n
Update4: Currently following the instructions at http://www.ailis.de/~k/archives/19-ARM-cross-compiling-howto.html#busybox except I am using the provided kernel source from ward instead of the source you are suppose to download. The site is a little dated so the gcc complier and glib compiler aren't compatible with the version of CentOS provided by PBXIAF, so it's been a difficult road of trying to patch the gcc complier and glib. I'm currently stuck on an error that requires compat packages from CentOS that aren't in the 5 repo, they are only in the 4.x repo

Update5: I have been unable to build busybox because it now requires GCC complier 4.1+! Argh! I will have to look into this later and try to figure out how to get it to use the new libraries

Update6: I was able to cross-compile a very old version of busybox and it worked. see below

philtrick

Reaction score
Devel environment

So I realized that ward already posted the open source firmware which actually contains the patched version of the linux kernel for these phones.

I'm going to try to cross compile against the kernel provided

Update1: So far I'm unable to cross-compile this in my Mac (FreeBSD) environment, however the process seems to be working in my PBXIAF distro..continuing on
Update2: I was able to install the arm cross compile library

I have been reading this with interest, as I live over the pond and the shipping to me is quite expensive, so I'm looking into the UK ebay seller.

But back to the point.

Someone earlier mentioned that the firmware had Gumstix mentioned in some places, and looking at the photos of the boards, it looks as if the gumstix may have been used as an initial developemtn platform, (even the choice of the ethernet MAC and PHY is the same chip as the Verdex Pro uses).

So if you are thinking about developing for the phone, you might want to read this:

http://tinyurl.com/3xrxgzl

It basically gives you the steps to set up the development environment for the gumstix Verdex Pro, which will allow easy cross compilation.

More info on the gumstix verdex pro:
http://tinyurl.com/2456qmk
And the expansion boards:
http://tinyurl.com/27tktm8

HTH,

Phil

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
I have been reading this with interest, as I live over the pond and the shipping to me is quite expensive, so I'm looking into the UK ebay seller.

But back to the point.

Someone earlier mentioned that the firmware had Gumstix mentioned in some places, and looking at the photos of the boards, it looks as if the gumstix may have been used as an initial developemtn platform, (even the choice of the ethernet MAC and PHY is the same chip as the Verdex Pro uses).

So if you are thinking about developing for the phone, you might want to read this:

http://tinyurl.com/3xrxgzl

It basically gives you the steps to set up the development environment for the gumstix Verdex Pro, which will allow easy cross compilation.

More info on the gumstix verdex pro:
http://tinyurl.com/2456qmk
And the expansion boards:
http://tinyurl.com/27tktm8

HTH,

Phil

Hi Phil.

As proof of concept I tried to cross-compile busybox 1.0.

I have succeeded!!!!!!!!

You will notice the compile date is today! :D:D:D:D

This is the output of ./busybox_new on the phone..
Code:
BusyBox v1.00 (2010.11.05-12:07+0000) multi-call binary

Usage: busybox [function] [arguments]...
   or: [function] [arguments]...

BusyBox is a multi-call binary that combines many common Unix
        utilities into a single executable.  Most people will create a
        link to busybox for each function they wish to use, and BusyBox
        will act like whatever it was invoked as.

Currently defined functions:
        [, ash, basename, bunzip2, busybox, bzcat, cat, chgrp, chmod, chown, chroot, chvt, clear, cmp, cp, cut, date, dd,
        deallocvt, df, dirname, dmesg, du, echo, egrep, env, expr, false, fgrep, find, free, grep, gunzip, gzip, halt, head,
        hexdump, hostname, id, ifconfig, init, install, kill, killall, klogd, linuxrc, ln, logger, ls, mkdir, mknod, mktemp,
        more, mount, mv, openvt, pidof, ping, pivot_root, poweroff, ps, pwd, readlink, reboot, reset, rm, rmdir, route, sed,
        sh, sleep, sort, strings, swapoff, swapon, sync, syslogd, tail, tar, tee, test, time, touch, tr, true, tty, umount,
        uname, uniq, unzip, uptime, usleep, vi, wc, wget, which, whoami, xargs, yes, zcat

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
Proof of Compile Concept Check (for anyone who wants to see or test for themselves)

telnet into your phone

Code:
cd /tmp
wget http://www.the159.com/pbxiaf/busybox_new
chmod 777 busybox_new
./busybox_new
You will notice the compile date is 11-5-2010

I'm going to try to work on updating the compliers tomorrow so I can get a new version of busybox onto the machine. I can like-wise compile other programs, but they will have to be older programs, eg 2004-ish

philtrick

Reaction score
Hi Phil.

As proof of concept I tried to cross-compile busybox 1.0.

I have succeeded!!!!!!!!

You will notice the compile date is today! :D:D:D:D

[/code]

Excellent!!

This should make things quite fun around the house now!

There should be a couple of serial ports on there as well as the debug port.

Might be the start of a door videophone!

Can you see if the is a /proc/gpio file? If so it tells you the states of the various PXA270 GPIOS and what functions they are set to.

Details here:
http://www.gumstix.net/wiki/index.php?title=GPIO#Verdex_GPIO

Keep up the good work,

Phil

hraynor

Guru
Reaction score
I bought 10 of these phones a while back for $48 each. Nice phones.

BTW - After Telnetting into the phones, I noticed that there were some bluetooth scripts on the phones...

ANy chance that these phones actually have bluetooth hardware? (my guess is no). However, if they do, t'would be REALLY nice to be able to pair a BlueTooth headset to them!

The other thing I'd love to be able to see would be streaming video from websites, specifically through the web browser, and the ability to view remote cameras.

randy7376

Defnyddiwr Gweithredol
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible to get a file off of the phone and onto a computer? I can't figure out the FTP login and cant get it with telnet.
Thanks

I've logged into the phone via FTP without any issues using command line and Filezilla. Use the same root user and password you would for telnet. Just make sure you set your FTP client to passive mode.

This works for me on the 0.2.50 and 0.2.76 firmware versions.

mtennant

Guru
Reaction score
I can't FTP into my phone running 0.2.89 (the Turkey phone). Tried passive mode, etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdauck
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.