ALERT NHS voip network just been hit through hacked VMail

ostridge

Guru
Reaction score
Just been hearing from a friend, discussing how NHS were hit a couple of nights ago by inbound "anonymous" going to voicemail and hairpinning out of the C* call manager via international 00* to rack up something like £800 in calls. (I assume to a pay £? per minute call line). They plugged the 00* gap now, and 011* was in place, but that raises some nasty questions in my mind.

My local doctors surgery (and yours?) prefers to call with CLI = "anonymous". That is apparently condoned by Offcom / ICO / Police / NHS / STD Clinics and uncle Tom Cobbley? It presumably was subject of considerable and considered 'Consultation' with the telcos and industry. We all understand that, and rest peacefully knowing that ones beloved won't find out your guilty or personal secrets of cataclysmal importance.

That said my friend didn't say whether telco is / are sending the ANI (used for billing purposes), but NHS in particular have uk wide, huge numbers of outgoing "anonimous" calls and a lot of those also are to other NHS regions /resources/ hospitals/ surgeries/ CCGs whatever. Thus you can see that it may be quite difficult to establish who is using these resources, let alone who is the fraud perpetrator.

My point really is that allowing 'privacy' might not be good for May.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutpocket
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.