FOOD FOR THOUGHT Necessary to Upgrade Asterisk to Current?

kyle95wm

Phone Genius Owner
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I was logged into my server the other day which runs Asterisk 13.9.1. I'm debating if its worth upgrading Asterisk to current. Everything is currently working fine right now.

The thing is I'm always on top of installing the latest security patches for Incredible via the update script that runs each time a new session opens up. Doing this upgrade involves Asterisk being taken offline for a few minutes which isn't a big deal at night since nobody is using the phones.

What do you guys think?

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
If it's not broken or if you don't need (or use) any features that are in (or fixed in) the newer Asterisk version ... there is no compelling reason to upgrade. On the other hand, if your iPBX is an experimental sandbox or have a need to build a new system ... then go for it!

/Pete./

kyle95wm

Phone Genius Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply @geopeterwc

I guess it all depends on personal preference. I though "oh what the hell?" and did the upgrade anyways. My server is now running the latest version of Asterisk. Whether that'll come back and bite me I have yet to find out. Everything upgraded just fine.

kyle95wm

Phone Genius Owner
Reaction score
Sorry for double-posting but what if theres a security patch for Asterisk? Will that get handled in the automatic upgrade script? @wardmundy, comments?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
The Automatic Update Utility wasn't intended to provide Asterisk upgrades. That's what the upgrade-asterisk13-to current script is for.

By and large, Asterisk is sitting behind a firewall where the bad guys can't even see your server. So there is very little risk even with a major security hole in Asterisk unless you've exposed your server's ports to the Internet... assuming those on your local area network are trustworthy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jetest
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.