GO HERE Legal Restrictions - What 's What?

Addisonb

Reaction score
Can you point me to any resources relating to Copyright and the GPL licenses that Asterisk, FreePBX, XiVO, Elastix, etc... use. I am sure there have been many of these conversations but all my searching does not turn up what I'm looking for.

What I am most specifically looking to know is what can and cannot be changed and redistributed. For example, re-branding of FreePBX or XiVO to be made into "your own." What are the legalities of removing certain names and logos and branding it as your own?
Thanks

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.en.html

Be advised that "some companies" claim that trademarks, artwork, and access to their repositories which are an integral component of their "free software" are not covered in the GPL license. These same companies also bundle/commingle non-free software in their GPL products and claim that you are forbidden to redistribute the bundled, non-GPL products. None of these claims have ever been tested in a court of law... because they would lose. But you had best have a friend in the legal business unless you enjoy wasting all of your time on this :001 9898:.

You are more than welcome to start with the Incredible PBX ISO which has removed all of the artwork and B.S. from the original GPL product in question. This tutorial will walk you through rebranding it to meet your own requirements.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.