QUESTION Juggling temp variables. Asterisk DB, /tmp, SHAREd?

TKtech

Reaction score
I'm getting into some (for me) really awkward dialplan stuff. If anyone recalls, I have been playing with ConfBridge and 3-way calling with an IVR. The issues I've always had is, which channel has control through the dialplan, which channel has pertinent variables, and how to share that information among members of the bridge.

So far, I've managed a proof of concept using SHAREd variables... but this only goes so far. I have to know channel names of members, I need to establish and share everything before the channel enters the bridge app and loses its place in the dialplan, I need to avoid hoisting data too high in scope so that multiple instances of bridges aren't overwriting each other, etc. Not fun, not pretty, not reliable.

From what I can tell, I'm in need of a temporary data storage method that exists outside of the dialplan but still gets removed when all channels are gone. The scope of SHAREd isn't broad enough, but GLOBAL is too broad. This is where the database or /tmp come into play.

These come with their own set of problems however. I am unaware of a good method of housekeeping. Once calls enter the abyss of ConfBridge via Originate, I have no reliable way of executing instructions to clear my temp variables (either in /tmp or the DB) on the last channel to hangup.... or, at least I'm not aware of any. /tmp will clear itself on reboot, but ideally a reboot will be rare so I would still need to do housekeeping, and a fair share of parsing of data as it would be unstructured. The Database would be a little cleaner in implementation, but I'm not sure if it has its own method of cleaning up. If not, the only thing I can think of is storing the active channels as they join in a keytree identified by the BridgeID, then having a scheduled task that checks the DB for bridges and checks to see if any of the channels contained within are still active.

TL;DR- *slams head into desk*

P.S. Even though I do plan on using ARI in the future... I really don't want to fight with yet another layer of complexity.

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
I would use the /tmp option, and if cleaning it up is the issue put a job in CRON that runs once a day and removes any file more than say three days old --

The trick is using the find cmd with the mtime parameter...

TKtech

Reaction score
That's the direction I was leaning in, as the cleanup for the DB would be quite the hurdle... but now I have to consider file structure and parsing of data.

I guess I'll have to switch /tmp to a tmpfs... I really should anyways, to improve life expectancy of my flash storage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.