Is it possible to run text installer via SSH?

ssawczyn

Reaction score
Greetings,
I am a blind Linux user interested in installing PIAF. I'm wondering if it's somehow possible to enable SSH at the boot prompt and then run the installer remotely? This would enable me to SSH in using a machine with a screen reader, so that I could read the installation screens. With the help of a sighted friend, I've gone through the text based installer and have written down exact steps for each stage of the installation. The problem with this, however, is that if anything goes wrong, I won't know. Also, if I ever need to reinstall, and if the installation procedure on the latest iso changes, I'll be stuck.

Thanks for any help/suggestions,

Steve

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

An interesting problem.

The issue is that the SSH server does not exist, nor has it been loaded at the initial CD boot prompt, neither has it got an IP address, so unfortunately, getting a screen reader to work at this point is not possible that I can see.

I'm sorry I could not be more help.

Joe

ssawczyn

Reaction score
Hi,
I realize the ssh daemon isn't loaded at the boot prompt, but ideally, I could type a command i.e. linux ssh or just ssh which would continue booting the cd image and then launch the daemon. I realize this would be insecure, but after the installation, the passwords would obviously be set to something more secure. I think both GRML and Gyntoo have a boot parameter to start the ssh daemon on their live CDs.

Thanks,

Steve
Hi

An interesting problem.

The issue is that the SSH server does not exist, nor has it been loaded at the initial CD boot prompt, neither has it got an IP address, so unfortunately, getting a screen reader to work at this point is not possible that I can see.

I'm sorry I could not be more help.

Joe

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

I am rebuilding the ISO at the moment for Centos version 5.1

Would an installer be of any use to you that assumed the defaults, and set a password.

So you type "Auto" at the CD Boot, and it does not ask you any questions about the install, it just goes straight through and installs.

This would not affect the normal installation.

Joe

ssawczyn

Reaction score
Joe, this would be a very good solution. You'd just have to document the root password somewhere -- I'm assuming it can't be left unset. If you decide to implement this, I'll gladly download the new iso and can document my findings. Not that there'll be much to document as everything will just happen automatically anyway. :)

Thanks,

Steve
Hi

Would an installer be of any use to you that assumed the defaults, and set a password.

So you type "Auto" at the CD Boot, and it does not ask you any questions about the install, it just goes straight through and installs.

Joe

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

OK, I will build the ISO with that facility.

At the boot prompt you will type "auto"

The default password will be passworm

Joe

ssawczyn

Reaction score
Sounds fantastic. Will be watching the downloads area for the new iso. Obviously this helps me out a great deal, however, I'd bet others could benefit from an unattended install as well. Thanks for adding this functionality,

Steve
Hi

OK, I will build the ISO with that facility.

At the boot prompt you will type "auto"

The default password will be passworm

Joe

ssawczyn

Reaction score
Joe, I'm not sure if I'm just too impatient, or if I'm looking in the wrong place, however, I again downloaded the 1.1 iso from the downloads section and can't get the "Auto" option to work. Is the new ISO not ready yet, or am I looking in the wrong place? I was thinking there might be a pre-release section somewhere, but am not finding it.

Thanks,

Steve
Hi

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
baata
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.