Installing wideband (g722) codec translation in Asterisk 1.4.x

gaijin

Guru
Reaction score
I posted this an an answer to a help item, byt technically it belongs here:

Someone posted to the SCCP mailing list a question, together we worked it out.

To install g722 as an available codec first install the backport patch: (usual disclaimers apply - it worked for me and did not ruin my pbx, use at your own risk)

cd /usr/src/asterisk
wget http://carlton.oriley.net/drupal/fil...7.1-g722.patch
patch -p0 < asterisk-1.4.7.1-g722.patch
make
make install
amportal restart

to see if it worked, jump into the console:
Asterisk -r
and then type
core show translation

along the bottom of the table alongside g722 you should see a row of numbers (the lower the better :)) if you see dashes, the install didn't work.

You will of course need to use the allow=g722 statement for the protocols you require:
sccp.conf, sip_custom.conf & iax_custom.conf
Plus any extensions for which you have used the disallow statement.

Bear in mind of course, there aren't too many phones that support wideband as yet...

Hat

Guru
Reaction score
I installed this codec via the tutorial. Checked asterisk with core show translation - numbers showed up at the bottom indicating it has been installed. Entered allow=g722 in sip_custom.conf at the top. Restarted my box. Changed my codec preference on my Grandstream GXP 2000 to match (I am still surprised they of all support this codec). Used the disallow(all)/allow(g722) in the corresponding freepbx extension. Incoming audio to the phone works great. Outgoing does not, sounds garbled and underwater. Any tips/pointers where this may have gone south (besides operator error:lol:).

I also tried this leaving the allow/disallow lines empty the freepbx extension, still no joy.

This was patched to Asterisk 1.4.24.1

Thanks,
Tom

gaijin

Guru
Reaction score
I am not familiar with grendstream

However with Cisco (and other) devices a lot of the firwares / devices will support the codec, however, if the *handset* or *Headset* is not G722 compliant you will get the results you have described.

Maybe check that the handset is G722 "ready"...

:)

Hat

Guru
Reaction score
I did verify that the GXP 2000 does in fact support the g722 codec, so this is not the case. I do not know why the above patch does not work with my GXP, nor where to look to fix it.:confused5:

I did a little searching on Google and found this site that has, what appears to be, a different backport patch. He also has a GXP 2000 that works with his listed patch. The question I have is: Can I apply this new patch on top of this threads listed patch with imploding my box?

Thanks,

pkaplan

Guru
Reaction score
It is worth pointing out that the link you gave makes this very point:

The Grandstream GXP-2000 seems work partly with current fimware (1.1.4.25). The audio quality and volume at the phone are good. But the speaking/trasmit audio seems to have issues. Some times it's muted (other party hears nothing), choppy (sounds like a lot of packet loss), or sounds like it's underwater (wrong timing/duplicate packets).

Hat

Guru
Reaction score
True, however, the title of that section clearly indicates that these are Old Notes (no longer apply). So...I am guessing that this now works with a GXP based on his statement above the one you referred to. His brief summary is listed below.

Notes:
  • Works with the current Branch 1.4 (version 1.4.23 or so) that includes some G.722 support already
  • This is ONLY the free G.722 codec, not the G.722.1 or G.722.2 codec.
  • Tested with Polycom SoundPoint IP 650 (SIP version 3.1.2).
  • Tested with Grandstream GXP-2000 (version 1.1.6.37).
  • The Polycom sounds louder when using G.722 and translation , but seems ok between polycoms.
Old Notes (no longer apply):
  • The Grandstream GXP-2000 seems work partly with current fimware (1.1.4.25). The audio quality and volume at the phone are good. But the speaking/trasmit audio seems to have issues. Some times it's muted (other party hears nothing), choppy (sounds like a lot of packet loss), or sounds like it's underwater (wrong timing/duplicate packets).
  • SVN rev 114550 of 1.4 is needed for G.722 support.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dancosge
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.