FYI IncredibleFax with 99 modems and printing

pinto2020

Reaction score
Following the instructions at (http://nerdvittles.com/?p=9713) I built my first fax server and rolled it out to people to send faxes from a website. From searching the web, found out that in AvantFax one can do DID/DTMF routing but wasnt able to find very good details and setup information. The script also only installs 4 modems allowing only 4 concurrent calls. I needed to have a server that can send/receive more faxes.

Below are the settings I changed to have a server with 99 modems instead of the 4 that the script installs. I am also including the steps I took to have the DID routing to work along with printing the fax to different printers as the fax came in. Hope this might help someone down the road

Modifications:

Server Install:
On the installations instructions, it says to Install basic Ubuntu 14.04. I also installed Print Server while installing the OS

Modems: After installing Asterisk and before running the incrediblefax11_ubuntu14.sh script, I modified the below section:
# LOOP and install 4 IAXMODEMS 0->3
cd $LOAD_LOC
COUNT=0
while [ $COUNT -lt 99 ]; do
And any other place that mentions ttyIAX0,1,2,3, I added additional lines up to 98 giving me 99 modems.

DID/DTMF Routing: Once the system was up and running, edited /var/www/html/avantfax/includes/local_config.php.
set $ENABLE_DID_ROUTING = true;
Set $PRINTFAXRCVD = false;
Because I wanted to print the fax once it was received
Set $CALLIDn_DIDNum = 4; found out that in the fax.tif file, incoming DID was listed as option 4.

Edit /etc/asterisk/extensions_custom.conf to collect the incoming DID number.Under the [custom-fax-iaxmodem] section, changed exten => s,n,Dial(IAX2/iax-fax0/${EXTEN}) to exten => s,n,Dial(IAX2/iax-fax0/${FROM_DID}).This allowed DID to pass from Asterisk to AvantFax.For some reason, this information is twice in this file, so I had to make the change in both locations.

Trunk options: After the above changes were made, I restarted Asterisk, logged in to AvantFax web interface and went to super settings and saw the option for DID/DTMF routing. I also setup a SIP trunk between my VOIP PBX and Asterisk for in/outbound calling. In my VOIP PBX, I setup the fax DIDs to route to Asterisk (set to sent all incoming DIDs to Custom Destination/HylaFax). My PBX was also sending 11 digits for the DID to Asterisk so had to setup rule to remove 1 since AvantFax DID/DTMF option can only handle max 10 digit numbers.

Printing: After changing the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to allow access, I browsed to https://serverip:631 and installed all the remote printers, noting the names of each printer. In the AvantFax DID/DTMF option, I plugged in the incoming DID number, name of the printer that was setup. In some cases, instead of using printer I have the fax go to one or more email addresses.

Wish List: (1) Be able to save the incoming fax to different folders based on DID. (2) have email2fax working. I tried to use the script that is in the AvantFax folder, but didnt have much luck

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbradford
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.