TIPS Incredible PBX Backup and Restore

Scott Thomas

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to this forum so forgive me if there is another thread that has already answered this question. I've done quite a bit of searching on the internet. I am testing the backup and restore of Incredible PBX on 2 Cloudatcost servers. Test server 1 is installed and setup with one trunk and one phone connected and all works fine. I setup an FTP server on my computer and I have the night full backups going to that FTP server with no problems. The second test servers is a clean install of the exact same version of Incredible PBX. I went to the restore tab and clicked "Browse" and selected the backup .tgz file and clicked GO. It sits there for a minute or so and then the Browse box goes blank. At this point I assume the backup file was loaded onto the server, but don't know where it is or how to restore it to Test Server 2. I logged into the server with Putty and tried searching the entire server with the "Find" command, but cannot locate the file. What am I missing about the restore process for Incredible PBX. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

Last edited:

Trimline2

Guru
Reaction score
FTP your daily backup file to your Server 2 and place that file in /var/spool/asterisk/backup/Default_backup - Via Server 2, you should see that as a restore file.

It's always better, at least for me, to have the physical file on the server to eliminate any internet slowness as the entire file is opened at the time of the restore is started.

Scott Thomas

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I'll give that a try. Once the file is uploaded to the backup server 2, how do I start the restore process?

Scott Thomas

Reaction score
Figured it out. Seems to have restored everything. I just need to point my phone to the backup server and connect it to my provider. Thanks for your help.

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
Just a point to keep in mind....

Remember that CloudAtCost provides Virtual Servers. If you are concerned about your Server #1 going down and having a backup, then what you have accomplished will work just dandy. That is, if it just your Virtual Server that fails. If the failure is due to hardware at CloudAtCost, multiple Virtual Servers would be affected, including your backup copy.

So, while you have proved that your process works, in practical terms wouldn't it make more sense to set up your Server #2 with another independent provider?

Just thinking out loud, here....

Scott Thomas

Reaction score
Yes you are exactly correct. I am only using the CloudAtCost servers for testing. I might use it for my home phone systems, but I don't think they are stable or reliable enough to put my clients on. I just wanted to have the backup and restore process down, so when there is a real issue, I know how the process works. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate all feedback.

designet

Reaction score
Haaaalp . . .

I'm not an expert. But, I can usually figure things out. Not this time.

I have a 99.9% working Incredible PBX installation on Service Provider A. It's perfect, except that it crashes every couple of days when nothing is going on . . . and that's not good enough to take it to production. Troubleshooting guides are suggesting creation of core dumps and backtracing . . . these are not paths I can invest in right now.

Instead, I want to stand up a new server on Service Provider B, and import all that has been configured on the original machine, and see if it works there.

But, for the life of me, I cannot figure out the Incredible PBX Backup/Restore utility.

I have no backup servers; I have no clue what a template is; and, no docs on this functionality are popping up in any search I try.

All I want to do is backup 'everything' (including pbx configuration and audio files) on the original installation, and then restore it all to the new install. Can you help guide me through this? Thank you!

yUoFCDc24x5ntgQp3gURncqODgbPk0.png

chris_c_

Reaction score
Haaaalp . . .

I'm not an expert. But, I can usually figure things out. Not this time.

I have a 99.9% working Incredible PBX installation on Service Provider A. It's perfect, except that it crashes every couple of days when nothing is going on . . . and that's not good enough to take it to production. Troubleshooting guides are suggesting creation of core dumps and backtracing . . . these are not paths I can invest in right now.

Instead, I want to stand up a new server on Service Provider B, and import all that has been configured on the original machine, and see if it works there.

But, for the life of me, I cannot figure out the Incredible PBX Backup/Restore utility.

I have no backup servers; I have no clue what a template is; and, no docs on this functionality are popping up in any search I try.

All I want to do is backup 'everything' (including pbx configuration and audio files) on the original installation, and then restore it all to the new install. Can you help guide me through this? Thank you!

yUoFCDc24x5ntgQp3gURncqODgbPk0.png

Try this.
Go into Admin, Backup, hit Default Backup, and then under Templates, add "System audio" and "Full backup" to the list of items in the backup.
"System audio" adds "moh" (music on hold) and "sounds/custom" (your recorded audio for auto attendant greetings), and "Full Backup" adds web files and settings.
There should be 5-10 items in the list of items to put in the backup.
Then hit "and Run."
It'll save a large backup file ending in .tar.gz to "/var/spool/asterisk/backup/Default_backup"

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Incredible Backup and Restore

We’re also pleased to offer our latest backup and restore utilities for Incredible PBX. Running /root/incrediblebackup will create a backup image of your server in /tmp. This backup image then can be copied to any other medium desired for storage. To restore it to another Incredible PBX server, simply copy the image to a server running Asterisk 13 and the same version of the Incredible PBX GUI. Then run /root/incrediblerestore. Doesn’t get much simpler than that.

Try that out, works good. Also - on the one that's not working, try recompiling asterisk.

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
Incredible Backup and Restore

We’re also pleased to offer our latest backup and restore utilities for Incredible PBX. Running /root/incrediblebackup will create a backup image of your server in /tmp. This backup image then can be copied to any other medium desired for storage. To restore it to another Incredible PBX server, simply copy the image to a server running Asterisk 13 and the same version of the Incredible PBX GUI. Then run /root/incrediblerestore. Doesn’t get much simpler than that.

Try that out, works good. Also - on the one that's not working, try recompiling asterisk.

If one runs /root/incrediblebackup while a call is in progress, does the call get dropped, or do bad things happen?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Asterisk, MySQL, and Apache all have to be shutdown before the backup begins.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.