SOLVED I hurt my PBX by updating Ubuntu Server...

Reaction score
Hello:

I had my Incredible PBX 11.17.1 for Ubuntu 14, Asterisk 11.19.0 FreePBX 2.11.0.35 happily running on my Digital Ocean until I did:
1) apt-get update
2) apt-get upgrade
3) apt-get autoremove

Now, when I point my browser to the ip address of my D/O server, I get:
FATAL ERROR
DB Error: connect failed
Trace Back
/var/www/html/admin/libraries/db_connect.php:71 die_freepbx()
[0]: DB Error: connect failed

/var/www/html/admin/bootstrap.php:85 require_once()
[0]: /var/www/html/admin/libraries/db_connect.php

/etc/freepbx.conf:9 require_once()
[0]: /var/www/html/admin/bootstrap.php

/var/www/html/admin/config.php:99 include_once()
[0]: /etc/freepbx.conf

Also, when I successfully SSH into the same ip address, I see that the "MySQL" server is "Down". So is "SendMail" but I can't remember if it was ever "Up".

Does anyone know if and how I can recover from this or must I "destroy" my server do a complete re-install of every thing?

Thanks for any help with this,

Rob.

billsimon

Reaction score
Run "service mysql start" to bring MySQL online. If it fails, you'll get a brief error message from that command, and can look in the error log to find out more.

Reaction score
Run "service mysql start" to bring MySQL online. If it fails, you'll get a brief error message from that command, and can look in the error log to find out more.

Thank you for responding.
There seems to be many 'issues' so I decided to restore a D/O backup from a couple of days ago. At most, I will only lose some CDR entries.
Now I hope that the D/O 'restore' function actually works! :)
Rob.

Reaction score
Just a follow up to say that the Digital Ocean backup restored perfectly.

I guess that one should not do an 'apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get autoremove' on a D/O server that is running PIAF.

Rob.

Dave Gray

Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, don't try to update an ubuntu server after installing.
They add a program called "status" that shadows the system owned program. They do wildly different things. (You can rename the status to pbx_status or whatever you like, that'll allow upgrade to run. That's still not safe, there are no guarantees that an updated version of some package won't break the pbx software - the pear package in php comes to mind.)

Reaction score
Yeah, don't try to update an ubuntu server after installing.
They add a program called "status" that shadows the system owned program. They do wildly different things. (You can rename the status to pbx_status or whatever you like, that'll allow upgrade to run. That's still not safe, there are no guarantees that an updated version of some package won't break the pbx software - the pear package in php comes to mind.)

Thank you. I don't think that I will ever do that again!

billsimon

Reaction score
Thank you for responding.
There seems to be many 'issues' so I decided to restore a D/O backup from a couple of days ago. At most, I will only lose some CDR entries.
Now I hope that the D/O 'restore' function actually works! :)
Rob.

What were the "many issues"? If mysql is not running, it's worth figuring out why. It may happen again. Are you just going to restore from a backup every time?

And the advice to not update the OS after installing is... crap. YES, update your OS. Especially when you are running in the cloud. Figure out how to do it right and maintain your systems.

@Robert.Thompson - let me give you some better advice. Build another server on DO like your current one, or restore from your current one to a new image. Then update the OS and work through whatever issues you might encounter. When done, you will have learned a lot and will not be afraid to properly maintain your PBX in the future. And you can go back and update your production system with confidence.

Reaction score
What were the "many issues"? If mysql is not running, it's worth figuring out why. It may happen again. Are you just going to restore from a backup every time?

And the advice to not update the OS after installing is... crap. YES, update your OS. Especially when you are running in the cloud. Figure out how to do it right and maintain your systems.

@Robert.Thompson - let me give you some better advice. Build another server on DO like your current one, or restore from your current one to a new image. Then update the OS and work through whatever issues you might encounter. When done, you will have learned a lot and will not be afraid to properly maintain your PBX in the future. And you can go back and update your production system with confidence.

You are correct about this being a 'learning' opportunity. I will give your idea of a second droplet a try.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.