NEED MORE INFO Help with PBX in Indianapolis

Charliedemler

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a VOIP server that I have never touched before and really know nothing about. Here is my problem. I can not dial out even though I am getting a dial tone. When I try to dial in I get a busy signal. I can dial internal extensions ok. I've checked with ATT and they say our lines are OK. I've rebooted the server and everything seems fine but don't know where to go from here.
I am uploading a file showing the splash screen I have after I log into the server as root.
I have no one I can call to get help supporting this VOIP server. Any suggestions on who I can call or what to do next would be very helpful?

Thanks

Attachments

• carmel voip splash screen 2.jpg
    carmel voip splash screen 2.jpg
    983 KB · Views: 24

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Charliedemler How are outbound calls being handled?? The server itself does not provide connectivity to AT&T landlines. What device is sitting between your server and the AT&T line(s)??

Charliedemler

Reaction score
LOL wish I knew. I have rebooted our Internet Surfboard SBG6580 router and our Cisco Meraki Z1. The phone lines go into a closet shared with the whole building and have no clue what's even ours in there. It's a mess is what I do know.

Charliedemler

Reaction score
I'll see if I can get the closet unlocked on Monday and see what's there. What should I be looking for?

Charliedemler

Reaction score
Well can't ping my VOIP server so it appears that's my problem. Will have to find out how to add a NIC to a Linux PC.

Charliedemler

Reaction score
OK totally confused I can ping 8.8.8.8 from the VOIP server. I'd like to know who I might be able to call local to Indianapolis IN to see if I can hire them to come look at this system for me. Anyone with suggestions would be great. Thanks

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
Well can't ping my VOIP server so it appears that's my problem. Will have to find out how to add a NIC to a Linux PC.
That's not likely your problem, Charliedemler. Ping is blocked on most (all?) older PIAF systems in IPTables. This is/was done for the purpose of security of the PIAF system. If you can log into the root account of the server, you could issue the command at the Linux prompt: "service iptables stop" ... you'll be able to subsequently ping the server and get responses successfully.

(Your system is pretty old - circa March 2013, and no longer supported by the PIAF development folks - and probably only minimal support from those who frequent these forums.)

DO NOT leave IPTABLES disabled, however ... as your system will not be appropriately secure. Restart IPTABLES by issuing the command "service iptables start".

Most IP telephones (or ATA, or other VoIP device) provides dial tone - even if it's not registered to the server ... so hearing dial tone on the telephone handset is meaningless (except that the phone/ATA, etc.) has power.

A better understanding of the configuration of your system is in order to be able to give you quality assistance to resolve the connectivity problem that you're experiencing.

/Pete./

Yahdie

Guru
Reaction score
Have you tried logging into FreePBX via the IP address? Then you could see how the Trunks are configured etc. Also you can see the progress (and the point where the call fails) via the CLI.
At worst if you have a failed FXO card or device you could add a SIP Trunk from any reputable source (see the forum for providers) and get calling working

Charliedemler

Reaction score
Hi yes I have tried to login with the username and password I was given but unfortunately it's not working. I know going from bad to worse.

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
Hi yes I have tried to login with the username and password I was given but unfortunately it's not working. I know going from bad to worse.
Are you trying this with a keyboard and monitor connected directly to the server? Or, are your attempts via the network. If the latter, there may be IPTables or Fail2Ban issues that are blocking you due to multiple failed attempts to access the box.

Yahdie

Guru
Reaction score
you should be able to reset the GUI login via the "passwd-maint" command from the CLI
Type "help-pbx" from the prompt for options

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.