FOOD FOR THOUGHT Greet by Name

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
One of my repair guys has one of the commercial VOIP phone systems. When I call his number, it greets me by name: "Hello Andrew, Walter isn't available, please leave a message at the beep." This is assuming it goes to voicemail.

It's really neat.

Has anyone implemented this type of feature into PBXinaFlash?

Andrew

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
How would the CID you called from know you are named Andrew? Do you have database? because if you rely on CNAM the answer would likely be "Hello Verizon, Walter isn't available, please leave a message at the beep"

If you have the database and good text to audio then you could rewrite the /var/spool/asterisk/*/(ext)/busy|unavailable file on the fly. but it would be ugly

Reaction score
I suppose if you only have one contact at a company it would work. Better would be to have an IVR capture a customer code and then look it up and play the appropriate greeting.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
How would the CID you called from know you are named Andrew? Do you have database? because if you rely on CNAM the answer would likely be "Hello Verizon, Walter isn't available, please leave a message at the beep"

If you have the database and good text to audio then you could rewrite the /var/spool/asterisk/*/(ext)/busy|unavailable file on the fly. but it would be ugly

Why not just create your own context? You could use AsteriDex to look up the numbers and perhaps soon you can use Allison to supply the greeting.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Well, my thought was to use the phone book, but that's as far as my thought/skills in this area go.
Hence my asking if anyone has done it - 'cause I can't.

I just think it's a really neat feature and wouldn't take a lot of time/processing power to implement.

Andrew

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.