TUTORIAL Gotcha-Free PBX: Google Voice

Marvin

Reaction score
Thought I'd give this a try (Gotcha_Free), but adding a GV trunk in this flavor is not intuitive to me so I need a little help. I logged into the Incredible PBX Apps and clicked on Google Voice. I then added my username and password and clicked update credentials. There was no place on this page to put in my google number so I mosied over to the Trunks section, but once inside I didn't find a preconfigured provider for google voice.

So, how do I configure google voice?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
  1. Log in to Asterisk-GUI
  2. Click Incredible PBX Apps tab
  3. Click Google Voice
  4. Fill in Account Name (your gmail address) and Password
  5. Click Update Credentials
  6. Click Asterisk CLI tab
  7. Type: core restart now
No need to enter your Google Voice number. Incoming calls will ring on your Ring Group (6001 and 6002 extensions) by default. Outbound calls with 10 numbers will automatically go out on the Google Voice trunk by default. 11-digit numbers, i.e. with a dial prefix, go out on the designated trunk.

Look at the Asterisk CLI. If it is scrolling with a bunch of errors, then Google has blocked your number. Go through the two troubleshooting steps here. This is covered in the Nerd Vittles tutorial as well.

If you have difficulty finding the Google Chat option after setting up a new Google Voice account, follow this tutorial.

If you want to change the destination for Incoming Google Voice calls, edit /etc/asterisk/extensions.conf. Find the DID_GoogleVoice_default context. You'll see a bunch of commented destination options. Uncomment only one of them or make up your own. Reload your dialplan: asterisk-reload.
Code:
;exten = _.,n,Gosub(macro-dumpvars,s,1())  ; in case you ever want to look at all of the Asterisk variables on the CLI
;exten = _.,n,Goto(default,6001,1)        ; routes incoming call to extension 6001
;exten = _.,n,Goto(ringroups-custom-1,s,1)    ; routes incoming call to Ring Group #1
;exten = _.,n,Goto(voicemenu-custom-2,s,1)  ; routes incoming call to Nerd Vittles Demo IVR
exten = _.,n,Goto(voicemenu-custom-1,s,1) ; routes incoming call to Stealth AutoAttendant and then to Ring Group #1

If you haven't guessed already, we want folks to start learning something about the way Asterisk actually works. It's easy! Just experiment a little bit.

See also:

Marvin

Reaction score
  1. Log in to Asterisk-GUI
  2. Click Incredible PBX Apps tab
  3. Click Google Voice
  4. Fill in Account Name (your gmail address) and Password
  5. Click Update Credentials
  6. Click Asterisk CLI tab
  7. Type: core restart now
No need to enter your Google Voice number. Incoming calls will ring on your Ring Group (6001 and 6002 extensions) by default. Outbound calls with 10 numbers will automatically go out on the Google Voice trunk by default. 11-digit numbers, i.e. with a dial prefix, go out on the designated trunk.

Look at the Asterisk CLI. If it is scrolling with a bunch of errors, then Google has blocked your number. Go through the two troubleshooting steps here. This is covered in the Nerd Vittles tutorial as well.

If you want to change the destination for Incoming Google Voice calls, edit /etc/asterisk/extensions.conf. Find the DID_GoogleVoice_default context. You'll see a bunch of commented destination options. Uncomment only one of them or make up your own. Reload your dialplan: asterisk-reload.
Code:
;exten = _.,n,Gosub(macro-dumpvars,s,1())  ; in case you ever want to look at all of the Asterisk variables on the CLI
;exten = _.,n,Goto(default,6001,1)        ; routes incoming call to extension 6001
;exten = _.,n,Goto(ringroups-custom-1,s,1)    ; routes incoming call to Ring Group #1
;exten = _.,n,Goto(voicemenu-custom-2,s,1)  ; routes incoming call to Nerd Vittles Demo IVR
exten = _.,n,Goto(voicemenu-custom-1,s,1) ; routes incoming call to Stealth AutoAttendant and then to Ring Group #1

If you haven't guessed already, we want folks to start learning something about the way Asterisk actually works. It's easy! Just experiment a little bit.

Thank you for the reply. Just when I get paper trained you want this old dog to learn a new trick :clap:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
judge-judy-dont-pee-on-my-leg.gif

Thorkyl

Reaction score
I found an item that may need to be added to this tutorial

1 - Login to google voice
2 - Go to account settings
3 - Look for security settings
4 - Set to allow less secure apps to log in

This prevents google from rejecting non Chrome App connections from being blocked

pre_change.JPG

pre_change_001.JPG

post_change_001.JPG

post_change.JPG

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Good find, Thorkyl. Google changes this stuff about as often as some of the Hollywood folks change partners.

vic555

Reaction score
Maybe they have the same agenda; their masters are most likely the same.

Michael Arnold

Reaction score
Hi

I must be blind or just wasn't there

Asterisk CLI tab so I had to do it via SSH and that is so tricky.

I wish this system was more GUI. I mean I know it is but more should be but I guess since there are no .exe files and it makes it more safer I guess the only way is command line.

cbocbo

Reaction score
For those who are uninitiated in Linux command line such as myself to edit this file download and ssh client like putty.exe (I am using Windows) type in the ipdress of your server login with your user and pass. Then use a text editor to edit the file mentioned above. I use vi (this was built into my linux Centos 6.6) so the command : vi /etc/asterisk/extensions.conf . For tips on how to use text editors in Linux watch theses series of videos
. it can be a little daunting trying to follow along if you are Linux ready.

Hope this helps someone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutpocket
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.