QUESTION Getting European-style (beeping) ringback tones on internal calls

jackal

Reaction score
I'm at a loss here.

Running Asterisk 13.13.0 with Incredible PBX 12.0.70.

I have "Country Indication Tones" set to "United States / North America" in Advanced Settings. (That's the default the install came with.) I am in North America and desiring North American-style tones.

On internal calls (between two extensions), I'm getting a European-style ringback tone (the long beeps). All other calls--calls out to trunks, calls in from trunks, internal calls to queues/ring groups/follow mes with "Ring" set in the preferences. It only seems to affect calls to plain vanilla extensions.

This code snippet is the verbose output from the console for a call from 2201 to 2218, a standard extension with nothing extra added (no Follow Me, not even Voicemail). I can also replicate it on other extensions.

I did catch a Debug output for a subsequent call if needed, but it's obviously much more work to sanitize that. I can upon request, though.

I did a recursive search for "tonezone" in /etc/asterisk and these are the only files that contain that line:

Code:
./backup/sip.conf.bk.1436209845:;tonezone=se                    ; Default tonezone for all users/peers
./backup/sip.conf.bk.1436188897:;tonezone=se                    ; Default tonezone for all users/peers
./chan_dahdi.conf:; Set the tonezone. Equivalent of the defaultzone settings in
./chan_dahdi.conf:; Note that you'd still need to load tonezones (loadzone in
./chan_dahdi.conf:;tonezone = 0 ; 0 is US

It's commented out in every instance and doesn't even show up in the non-backed-up sip.conf (not sure why it's in the backed-up one and with Sweden as the country but not in the current sip.conf, but it's commented out there, anyway--it's possible it came with those backup files already there with the image I installed from RentPBX)

TL;DR: Any ideas why Asterisk is not honoring the Country Indication Tones setting?

Reaction score
Check the setting on the phones. Those tones are likely being generated by the phones.

jackal

Reaction score
Check the setting on the phones. Those tones are likely being generated by the phones.
I had that thought, but I couldn't find any reference that they were set incorrectly.

Also, one of the devices doing it is a Yealink W52P and the other two lines doing it are both connected to an OBi202 (the other two lines I have connected at this time have Follow-Me turned on). Seems pretty coincidental that two very different devices are doing it, especially when the same two devices were until a few days ago connected to a different IP-PBX (Incredible PBX with Asterisk 11) and not doing it, and all the settings on both endpoints were copied over exactly...

Will keep digging along the lines you suggested, though. Thanks.

ETA: Let's disregard this for now. Upon further testing, it may only be affecting one device. Call it lack of sleep.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.