FreePBX 2.7 Is Final

kevinfvc

Reaction score
from the link above:
The bugs encountered during this release were minimal and most of those addressed in the bug tracker were already existing bugs from earlier releases fixed during this Milestone (and most of those not back ported to 2.6.

Freepbx is definitely one of the better run opensource projects that I've seen. I'm looking forward to playing around with 3.0 and Freeswitch in the future.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
About the only real addition in 2.7 is support for Digium's closed-source Fax for Asterisk commercial product. This gives you a good idea where the FreePBX project may be headed unfortunately. :rolleyes5:

The only good news is anyone can obtain a single channel license to Fax for Asterisk at no cost. unfortunately, it's not a feature we can include in PBX in a Flash. You will need to add it yourself if you wish to use it.

Nerd Vittles will address this in more detail in coming weeks.

ou812

Guru
Reaction score
I have read in some places that spandsp can be used for 2.7 faxing, I'm not sure what this really is and even though I have found how-to's for the install, I am reluctant as I'm not sure what effect this will have on a stable running PIAF.

Since testing 2.7 for about a week I have noticed one thing, my off site backup's have changed from a regular 40,000 k to 3,000 k I would guess they are incomplete and this requires some testing.

Gary

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Old Wild West adage: "You can always tell the pioneers by the arrows in their back."

bbguy5

Reaction score
I've tried testing inbound faxing, and with the SIP detection it doesn't really work, it eventually drops to my call group, i then transfer it to the extension, and it detects the fax and receives. So far it received 5/5 faxes.

You need asterisk 1.6.2 to get SIP faxing working

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Not sure how this is an improvement over NVfax which is open source AND free. Works well for us and is included in Orgasmatron builds. Setup info is here. Also a huge thread on HylaFax which has been rock-solid reliable for many folks... also free!

Last edited by a moderator:

ou812

Guru
Reaction score
Hi Ward

You are absolutely right we have been using that in our office for quite some time and it has been solid. I thought this was something new and easy as it was built into FreePBX, but I take it its just a new twist on something old.

Thanks,

Speedy2k

Reaction score
I have found that upgrading to 2.7 broke the inbound route to the hylafax modem with nv_fax_detect it seems that since it doesn't detect spandsp or ASterisk Fax, it don't want to write the inbound route fax portion, is there any way of reactivation the nvfax detect into the inbound route without installing Asterisk fax or SpanDSP? Thanx!

jehowe

Guru
Reaction score
About the only real addition in 2.7 is support for Digium's closed-source Fax for Asterisk commercial product. This gives you a good idea where the FreePBX project may be headed unfortunately. :rolleyes5:....

I don't know Philippe personally or the pressures he's feeling to steer the project, but I really hope not..... To kind of clarify, it's my understanding that the fax module in 2.7 also supports spandsp/rxfax which one could load and not have to touch Digium's closed product. And I am finding the new backup support for offsite FTP/SCP works well and is a welcome addition.

mruge

Guru
Reaction score
Well, all I can say is 2.7 broke more then I could gain out of it. I use the custom context addon and it has caused problems with that and for some reason, I cannot dial extensions on my local context.

So, I would avoid it for the most part.

kenn10

Reaction score
I've been using FreePBX 2.7 since it came out in Beta. The Fax module is excellent and supports legacy (nv-fax) as well as Fax for Asterisk. I must say that the Fax for Asterisk works 100% better for me than nv-fax does. I can send and receive faxes over several different carriers; all of which did not work for me with nv-fax.

I've upgraded to Asterisk 1.6.2.4 and find that I have no serious issues.

The Custom-Contexts module works OK but you have to first delete your custom-contexts created prior to 2.7 and re-add them. I am working to gather information on the problems with the module so we can hire someone to make repairs to existing and new (2.7) issues. The main issue is that in 2.7, routing has changed a little and that, in conjunction with custom-contexts, has caused issues. Deleting the custom-contexts that exist prior to the upgrade and re-adding them seems to work. Be careful about selecting "include all outbound routes" and "include entire internal dialplan" as those options will bite you.

You can follow the custom-contexts module on this forum, the Trixbox forum and the FreePBX forum. I have a poll about the module on each of these boards and subsequent discussion of the issues.

invictive

Reaction score
I just did a clean install of PIAF and immediately upgraded to 2.7. After doing so I installed NerdVittles Fax, but it does not show up in FreePBX!

The fax and faxit contexts have been added, but there is no sign of it on the General Settings Page, or the Trunks page.

Is there a quick and easy way to uninstall the Fax app?

Thanks!

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Doubting Thomas

Not to be the naysayer, but my WAG has been that FreePBX 2.7 would find a way to break the free offering. Sounds like it does. Only suggestion I can make is... START OVER. :crazy:

invictive

Reaction score
Gah, I was hoping you wouldn't say that, just got everything set up!

I suspect it just breaks the GUI, I noticed a similar problem with Hotel Style Wakeup calls, the application is running fine, but I can't access the GUI page to change the settings.

Reaction score
About the only real addition in 2.7 is support for Digium's closed-source Fax for Asterisk commercial product. This gives you a good idea where the FreePBX project may be headed unfortunately. :rolleyes5:
Now now Ward, are we trying to stir up trouble again:rolleyes:...

It would seem that you have not spent any time reviewing 2.7 given this "somewhat naive" statement. With 142 tickets closed in 2.7 and the addition of features to Follow-Me, Ring Groups, Queues, Backups, Inbound Routes, Outbound Routes, Trunks, Conferences, Module Admin, and many dozens of other minor and not so minor bug fixes and feature requests, I would hardly call your assessment grounded in reality. Here's the Milestone data for the record:

freepbx.org/v2/milestone/2.7

Let's be very clear about what the additions wrt to fax-ing were all about. If we only wanted to support FFA, it would have been a trivial change and in fact it was already supported as FFA has their own compatibility mode for rxfax() in 1.4. The goal in the FAX module was to make what was previously a very un-intuitive GUI when it came to routing FAX DIDs and fax configuration in general, and make it much easier to understand. (I'll venture to ask anyone - and no cheating looking at your neighbors test - how to "properly" route a DID directly to a fax email without the use of detection on 2.6 and prior. Most people get that wrong.)

If you have followed a lot of the significant work going on with the Fax-ing module it was in fact very much about getting faxing working properly with "spandsp" (app_fax/app_rxfax). The fact that it also supports FFA is relatively trivial though for some it is a pretty important support as it does appear to provide a notch over spandsp from many reports.

So let's try to speak in terms of facts when providing such information.

Philippe

p.s. for some of you who have had problems with custom-context, there is a change that will go out with the next core module update that should eliminate the issue that has been reported:

freepbx.org/trac/changeset/9096

and I recently updated custom-context with another fix that had been reported as a result of the threads kenn10 has listed. I've also been in contact with naftal5 (the author) wrt to the module to see what could be done in helping to keep it updated. But with the above, I believe it will be back where it was (and then some) from 2.6.

Now on the down side wrt to custom-context, come 2.8 it will be completely broken unless naftali5 or someone else is able to step up and get it in sync with some significant changes in the entire outbound routing "internal plumbing." Ward is already aware of this change as I've given him a personal heads up with LOTS of time to adjust for any issues it may cause. I hope to get an alpha tarball out in the next week to start early testing to give at least a couple months time for the various third party module developers to see what is going on and if it effects them, have a chance to address the changes. (and as always, no need to wait, it's all their, in realtime, in SVN for all eyes to see) It's a rare but necessary change in FreePBX that has been on the drawing board for a long time (and in fact one of a few reasons why we chose not to bring custom-contexts into the core supported modules.)

phoneguy

Guru
Reaction score
Ward

You might also want to look at the release notes and who actually developed a module before making statements about the FreePBX project and the direction of the project. The Fax module was developed and contributed by Schmoozecom developers along with a bunch of other things that we gave to the community for FreePBX 2.7. We developed the module for our own customers because we needed reliable 99% faxing and could not get those types of results with SpanDSP. We than gave back that months of work and testing to the community.

We have also developed a Fax PRO which allows complete management of inbound and outbound faxes and let you create user coversheets and send faxes from the ARI that we have not released as GPL but are considering it in the future.

We also have some great things for freePBX 2.8 planned that you can read about at freepbx.org/news/2010-03-12/otts-training-v3-2-8-times-are-busy

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Thanks, Philippe and Tony. I stand corrected. Can't wait to try it. :smile5:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.