TIPS Flexible Ringtones on Grandstream Phones

foneman

Guru
Reaction score
Just a thought...
I have a customer using the GXP 2000 and 2020's. Since they have the ability to have the custom ringtones (which, by the way when I upgraded the firmware to the latest, the 1st custom ringtone was a speaking caller ID which was cool :smile5:) I would like to be able to have an outside call ring one way and an internal call ring another.
Grandstream TS is NO HELP! :banghead: They even told us that we could not make a custom XML on the 2020 only the 2000 which was BS....anywho...
I am sure this may have to do with dialplans and such but if anyone has any ideas I would welcome them. :confused5:
What I have done is for account 1 create their regulat extension (ex: 10) and then for account 2 created ext 100. Inbound routes ring to 100 and it is set up to ring with custom ring 2. Account 1 (internal) is set to ring a different tone. It works but is messy. Also, take up many of my spaces on FOP. :willy_nilly:
TIA
gary

Alex728

Guru
Reaction score
I don't have grandstreams but this is how I did it on the Linksys ATA's and phones and it should work for any phone which accepts the "Alert-Info" SIP data

As I'm a Brit I wanted the "ring-ring (pause) ring-ring (pause)" tone for external calls (in this country any other ring is usually taken to be an internal call)

On the Linksys kit there are bits in the web interface where each ringtone has first a "name" and codes that show the tone and cadence.

So I set up the "ring-ring (pause)" tone on each telephone/ATA and gave it a "name" of "BT-Ext" (British Telecom, External)

Then in Freepbx I changed the Zap trunk settings to send "BT-Ext" as "alert-info", same with SIP trunks that represent an outside number

And that was it, the phones now rang with the correct pattern for external calls..

Now unfortunately I don't know if the grandstream does this but I'd experiment to see if ringtones can be given names and if they map to the "Alert-Info" data..

mp3geek

Guru
Reaction score
It can work....

Hi Gary,
I'm doing exactly what you want with my 2000's. It took some fiddling, but is actually easy (Once you get it working!)
Mine is setup like this:
On the Inbound Route page for the route you want to have the custom ring, under Options, Alert Info, put in
<http://127.0.0.1>\;info=Outside
"Outside" can be most anything, that's just what I called it.

Then in the GXP2000 web interface, under Advanced Settings, Distinctive Ring Tone, type Outside in the field corresponding to the ring tone you want to use.
Restart the phone and it should now use the custom ringtone that you selected whenever a call comes in on that inbound route.

Cheers,
Mike

foneman

Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for that but unfortunately, it does not seem to work. All calls still ring with whatever ringtone is setup. Do I need to change the account back to system first? hmmm will try that and update.

mp3geek

Guru
Reaction score
Did it work? I double checked my syntax etc. and everything looks correct. My phones use the system ring except for the trunk I have the alert info set for, then they use ringtone2.

foneman

Guru
Reaction score
I will attempt again. Thanks so much for your help.

foneman

Guru
Reaction score
No go

I put in alert info just as you described:
<http://127.0.0.1>\;info=Outside
but nothing...at a loss.

foneman

Guru
Reaction score
Fixed

Here is what it took for me.
This goes into extensions-custom-conf:
exten => 200,1,SIPAddHeader(Alert-Info: <http://127.0.0.1>\;info=internal)
exten => 200,2,Dial(SIP/200)
The first all on one line....
Then, change the 200 on both lines to the extensions you have in your system.
Now, works beautifully.

Reaction score
I just tried mp3geek's (Mike's) way, and it worked for me. I have Grandstream GXP-2000s and GXP-2020s.

1) Type in <http://127.0.0.1>\;info=Outside in the Alert Info box for Inbound Routes and DID Alert Info box for an Extensions (if you have DIDs).
2) Then type in Outside in the Distictive Ring Tone area (Custom ring tone 1, 2, or 3) of the Grandstream Web Interface.

rosic

Reaction score
" the 1st custom ringtone was a speaking caller ID which was cool :smile5:)"
This sounds really cool, how did you do it?

mtennant

Guru
Reaction score
I just picked up a cheap ($39 delivered) and slightlly used Grandstream BT-101, upgraded the firmware, and viola, talking caller ID. Sound quality is good. As much as I'd love to join the Aastra crowd, the price tag is still just a bit much for a little home based business.

mp3geek

Guru
Reaction score
Bt-101

A BT-101 was my first VoIP phone :) Nowadays if I want a cheap phone, for remote use or whatever I get a BT-200. It's a little pricier, around $50, but has 2 10/100 RJ-45's so you can daisy chain your PC through it. Unlike the GXP-2000 series, which I have had some issues with, the BT series basically just works and I haven't had any of the weird audio problems like the 2000. And if you spill a Coke on it, you're not out $200!

Cheers,
Mike

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.