TIPS Fax with GV number

isaacl

Reaction score
I have a GV number that I'm using with my PBXIAF system, currently running through GVSip (I got it early, by Ward's first recommendation), and besides for a few issues on their end, it's been running relatively smoothly.
I originally had the number with Callcentric, and when I had it there, I was able to get incoming faxes on the same number, and the PBXIAF system would automatically detect when there was an incoming fax, and route it to the fax system, which sent the faxes as emails.
We then ported the number to GV, and I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to somehow get incoming faxes using the same number and same system as we used previously, without having to use a second line/number for faxes.
Is there any way to get incoming faxes over a GV number, and have them come into the same PBXIAF system that the regular calls are coming in to? Or is there some support (T.38?) that's missing?
Thanks a lot!

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Not your request, and likely not what you would want because it does involve a second number, with an odd area code at that but...

Consider getting one of the Callcentric NY free DIDs and direct it to their built-in fax mailbox? That's what I use and it (1) works seemingly 100% of the time, (2) I get my faxes emailed to my address of choice, and (3) it costs nothing at all. Moreover you are familiar with Callcentric...

Callcentric does support T.38. I use it with a T.38 ATA for outbound faxes. GV does not -- G.711 only

isaacl

Reaction score
Can I have a second GV number forwarding to that Callcentric NY free DID?
Will I have issues with GV not supporting T.38 if the call rings to the Callcentric DID?

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Can I have a second GV number forwarding to that Callcentric NY free DID?
Yes you can, and a clever idea!
Will I have issues with GV not supporting T.38 if the call rings to the Callcentric DID?

Maybe not so much because, at the Callcentric end, while capable of supporting T.38, your scenario is similar to what typically happens: receipt of an inbound fax from the PSTN, which would be using G7.11 and likely originated from an analog source, squawked into the circuit-switched public telephone network. You would, however, be adding one step into the already wonky world of VoIP faxing.

Try it and see! Everything you have described is free -- what do you have to lose?

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Please be more specific with your request. I'd suggested an alternative to the OP that might or might not have been followed.

OP was originally asking whether a GoogleVoice DID "running through GVSip" and terminating in a PBXIAF system could support incoming voice =AND= faxes on that single DID. That's not even possible any more because GVSip no longer exists...

If you are inquiring about the alternative I'd suggested, as tweaked by the OP, it was last left at me suggesting that the OP give it a try. Never heard back from the OP on that...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.