RECOMMENDATIONS Fail over to Cloud based server

Reaction score
I am planning on updating our PBXINAFLASH system very soon and thinking of having some sort of heartbeat setup on our primary on site based system to detect if Internet or whatnot goes out and then have it fault over to an off-site (cloud based) system.

Wanted to check and see if any others have managed to get anything like this setup before.

As a side note some of my main providers for trunks are...

Did4Sale
VoIp.ms
FlowRoute
Vitelity

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
I have this working sort of in a couple places - on Yealink phones there's built in failover between two sip servers, and I have the on site backup to RentPBX. I restore to the Rentpbx once a year but can do it quickly in a failure. My carrier offers failover to a secondary sip server automatically (Anveo and Voip Innovations both do this) though it results in a bit longer delay for the caller until I manually force the secondary to primary.

So the phones and the carrier do it, though this is to protect against server failure.

In internet failure situations you can program firewalls to do that and use an FQDN with a cron script to update the name to handle the SIP NAT settings in Asterisk. I have not done this because the fiber at our locations is very stable (now); no outages for the last 18 months, and power is good too, and if the power goes out and the internet it just fails over.

Ilan Stern

Reaction score
We use FlowRoute and it is honestly an excellent provider. However we do not host our PBX with them we host it internally. Running Verizon FIOS (never had an outage since day it was installed) but also have Time Warner as a backup/failover. However, I believe if you wanted to use FlowRoute as a backup they would make a great company! There is also Junction Networks/OnSip. They are good to; we used to use them as well.

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info. But what I was trying to state was that if there is an internet failure at our office. What is the best way to have these trunks fail over to say another Incredible PBX system that is in the cloud, or even say a cell phone?

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info. But what I was trying to state was that if there is an internet failure at our office. What is the best way to have these trunks fail over to say another Incredible PBX system that is in the cloud, or even say a cell phone?
But ... if the PBX is down because of an Internet outage, are not also your IP phones out of service that would otherwise require the Internet to get to the cloud-based server?

Seems to me that to ensure continued service (ie., the ability to respond to incoming calls to the DIDs) would be to have the individual DIDs which will fail when the Internet is down to fail0ver to a cell phone or ... multiple DIDs to multiple cell phones?

What am I missing??? Just 2 cents ...

/Pete./

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Choose a carrier that can failover for you to a different PBX. voip.ms, Voip Innovations, and anveo direct all do this . . . voip innovations can failover to a cell, so can Voip Innovations. Anveo Direct can't (it fails over to anohter server ) but their full version product anveo.com can. I suspect Flowroute will do so also but I find them expensive.

Reaction score
Yes @geopeterwc I am planning on it failing get over to another PBX which then will greetc them and forward to cell.

My ultimate end result is going to be to move my pbx to a vps and then problem is solved, as most of the time calls route to my cell anyways...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.