emergency after hours pager script?

tbooth

Guru
Reaction score
anyone have a working pager script they use for an after hours emergency mailbox for say an on call technician? in this case the one built in freepbx wont work, has to be a numeric pager

I modified a cell phone notification script for asterisk 1.2 but don't have a clue on how to make it work with asterisk 1.4

caller leaves a message in a mailbox, asterisk dials the pager number with a notification

thanks

thunderheart

Reaction score
Good one

Tim,

Good question. We have a similar problem but a different solution. Our technicians have text enabled cell phones so we just forward the message in an email to the on call guy's phone. Would be interested in how you solve this one to add it to my Big-Bag-O-Tricks.

Dallas

TheShniz

Guru
Reaction score
We use Bob's Voicemail Notification script ourselves... worx very well :)

tbooth

Guru
Reaction score
bobs script

can you post bobh's script here? Do you have it working on asterisk 1.4? Thats the script I modified for the pager notification with asterisk 1.2 machines. Or can you email me the script? [email protected]

thanks

TheShniz

Guru
Reaction score
I hesitate to even mention 'the other' distro let alone link to them, just cuz it irks me so much... but if you browse to the 'projects' section of 'their' forums, it's currently the 5x post down. I'm referring to BobH's venerable VM Notify script, and I've posted about it a couple times here.

It was originally written for Asterisk 1.2, and with further assistance of others (mainly MMitchel & Merlyn) it's been successfully ported over to Asterisk 1.4 (quite some time ago actually). The gist of it's successful install is copying the [macro-vm] section out of extensions.conf, as it is an extension of voicemail (obviously).

There have been a great many customizations and additions others have made to it as well, and I invite you to read up on it.

::updated::

Give me a lil bit and I'll dig it up, if you just want a copy & paste

tbooth

Guru
Reaction score
I have asked about it over there and no one seems to have a working 1.4 copy. Can you copy from your working machine and post?

TheShniz

Guru
Reaction score
I've already got my post typed out, but when I hit submit, I'm getting:

"Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/pbxinafl/public_html/forum/includes/class_bbcode_alt.php on line 249"

...I wonder if the post is too long, I'll post files on a website for download instead if I can't get it posted here.

TheShniz

Guru
Reaction score
Well, I couldn't get the script to post, so I've uploaded it as promised... here's what you need to do:

/etc/asterisk/extensions_custom.conf

Code:
; Voicemail Notification
#include vm_notify_custom.conf

^^^ INSIDE of [from-internal-custom]

/etc/asterisk/vm_notify_custom.conf

Download here:
http://www.edgeproductions.com/sites/default/files/TheShniz/voip/vm_notify_custom.txt

^^^ Be sure to update [macro-vm] from /etc/asterisk/extensions.conf as it has been known to change from time-to-time (which can *really* fubar things up if you're not paying attention).

That's it folks! I should add this script is an excellent display of open collaboration, is tried & tested, and you may find a good many customizations/localizations/etc already available (see prev post).

GlenPittman

Reaction score
I have attempted to get this working this weekend, and I am running into a problem that I don't know how to fix, although I am sure it is simple.

When I dial the *26 from any phone, I get the recording about the feature not being available. Looking at the CLI, I see that it runs the 4 steps in [from-internal] but never appears to get to the [custom-vm-notify] section of vm_notify_custom.conf

I have the #include vm_notify_custom.conf line located in extensions_custom.conf, above the [from-internal-custom] section.

I can copy the first four lines of the [custom-vm-notify] section and place them into the extensions_custom.conf file in the [from-internal-custom] section, and make the call and get the proper response. That tells me that somewhere I have an include statement missing, correct?

Based on that thought, I placed the include => custom-vm-notify line in extensions_custom.conf file under the [from-internal-custom] section, but that didn't work for me.

I am fairly new to both Linux and Asterisk, but I have been in the Communications, Networking, and IT side for quite a while. I don't fully understand how all the includes work, or where they should be located. I assume that extensions.conf is the starting place, and because of the #include extensions_custom.conf line, that everything in that file is looked at as well if the context matches. From within the [from-internal] section, I see a statement for include => from-internal-custom which looks at that section in the extensions_custom.conf file. If I include another statement either in [from-internal] or in [from-internal-custom] that is include => custom-vm-notify , should that work to guide the call to the proper section of vm_notify_custom.conf? I am assuming that since the #include vm_notify_custom.conf line is actually in the extensions_custom.conf file, then the include => custom-vm-notify line should go in the [from-internal-custom] section. Am I understanding this correctly, or am I off base with that?

I appreciate anyone who can decipher my rambling above and shed some light on how all this works. I know I could just ask someone to tell me what to put where, but then I wouldn't have learned how to diagnose issues like this in the future.

Thanks for any help.

Glen Pittman

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
include => custom-vm-notify line should go in the [from-internal-custom] section
Correct.

#includes include files
includes include other contexts

But "includes" have to be in a section that is "included" in the first place.

The usual place to put "includes" is under "[from-internal-custom]" which is linked in the from-internal context, which is where everything happens in FPBX

Joe

GlenPittman

Reaction score
Thanks for the information Joe. That confirms that my line of thinking was correct.

I had time to work on it this afternoon, and was able to get the script to work correctly.

Thanks again for the help.

Glen Pittman

TheShniz

Guru
Reaction score
My bad about the include, what I get for running off defective memory (d0h!) ... anyways, I'm very glad you got it going. Check out the full thread for a list of customizations, there's quite a bit!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex_Spiridonov
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.