BUG Disabling/Modifying Feature Codes Doesn't Work

anomaly0617

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've installed two phone systems in the last two months and run into what is essentially the same problem both times.

For the prerequisites:
  • I'm running IncrediblePBX on Dell Server based appliances with mirrored solid state drives and either 4GB or 8GB of RAM.
  • I'm using CentOS 6.8 as the Core OS
  • One has IncredibleFax, the other does not.
  • The endpoints are Grandstream GXP-2130/2160's and the occasional Cisco SPA-112 for the analog devices that have to have them.
The issue has to do with built in Asterisk feature codes. I can't seem to disable them. Here's an example:

PBX #1: Their previous phone system included an extension 123, which is common because many small businesses do extensions in the 100's. It turns out 123 goes to System Reminders in Custom Destinations on the PBX, so I tried to switch the feature code for System Reminders over to 5123. This appeared to go fine, I applied the changes, and I created Extension 123. Small problem, though: the person with this extension cannot receive phone calls. When people try to dial them, they get a prompt stating "Password:". Sounds like System Reminders, doesn't it? Finally I deleted System Reminders out of the Custom Destinations section, because they'll never use it anyway. Apply Changes, and people still get the "Password:" prompt. I thought perhaps, maybe, possibly, the phone was offline, but when i check under Reports > Asterisk Info > Peers, here's what I see:

123/123 192.168.0.123 D No No A 5060 OK (4 ms)

So that phone is definitely online and purring.

PBX #2: This time the problem was the ** feature code. They have a Viking Door Intercom and Magnetic Door Release system. On the PBX end, I have a Cisco SPA112 set up and plugged into the intercom box on the outside of the building. A little dial plan magic in the SPA112 and S0: is set to auto-dial 600 when the intercom button is pressed, and 600 is the Ring Group for incoming calls to the building. However, the Viking uses ** as the code the staff member types in to unlock the door. And it turns out ** is a feature code to end the call on the Asterisk side. So, I went into Call Features and tried switching ** to *# first. When that did not work, I disabled the feature code entirely. I'm applying changes each time through. Also, just for good measure I've rebooted the PBX and rebooted all the phones. Nothing.

From Admin > Feature Codes:

Setting | Value | Use Default? | Feature Status
In-Call Asterisk Disconnect Code | *# | Unchecked | Disabled

So, am I missing something in the FreePBX GUI? Anyone had this problem before?

Thanks, in advance,
--
Anomaly0617

Last edited:

chris_c_

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've installed two phone systems in the last two months and run into what is essentially the same problem both times.
PBX #2: This time the problem was the ** feature code. They have a Viking Door Intercom and Magnetic Door Release system. ...... However, the Viking uses ** as the code the staff member types in to unlock the door. And it turns out ** is a feature code to end the call on the Asterisk side. .....

From Admin > Feature Codes:

Setting | Value | Use Default? | Feature Status
In-Call Asterisk Disconnect Code | *# | Unchecked | Disabled

So, am I missing something in the FreePBX GUI? Anyone had this problem before?

Thanks, in advance,
--
Anomaly0617

In "Feature Code Admin", try to disable both the "Directed Call Pickup" and the "In-Call Asterisk Disconnect Code", "Submit", "Apply". Come back and tell us if that lets the "**" thru to the Viking so it'll unlock the door.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abuhyder
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.