NEWS FLASH Digital Ocean to charge for Snapshots

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
In case you didn't hear, I received this from Digital Ocean:

Snapshots billing update

We are in the process of making updates to our snapshot policy and wanted to let you know what you will be seeing.

Starting October 1, 2016, we will begin charging for snapshot storage at $0.05 per gigabyte per month. This will first be reflected in the invoice posted to your account on November 1, 2016. Like other features, snapshot storage uses hourly pricing, and size is calculated from a compressed version of the snapshot—not the total disk space allocated to the Droplet.

Also, you can now take Droplet snapshots without having to power off the Droplet. You can see this in action by taking a snapshot of a Droplet while it’s still running.

Over the coming weeks, we will update the Snapshots page to show the costs associated with your snapshot storage more easily and we’ll also send another reminder before charges begin on October 1, 2016. Be sure to see your usage on the Snapshots page and delete unused snapshots to avoid any unexpected charges.

In the meantime, if you have any questions or feedback about the upcoming changes, you can always open a ticket and our Support team will be glad to help.opening a support ticket.

Thanks,

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Yeah, got that email and promptly went out to delete the many snapshots that I have had lying around. :) Still, IMH the D.O. pricing doesn't seem bad. Given that they are compressed a basic I-PBX snapshot might cost 25 cents a month or so...

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I see Vultr and DO as on par with each other, still don't know which one people prefer. Vult gives more RAM, DO gives more Disk Space. Didn't check speeds of their disk subsystems or CPU or network, but if all are relatively equal, I think I'd prefer the additional RAM from Vultr as opposed to extra disk space.

I like the snapshots for templates, and then use the automated backups for $1 / month on live boxes. How can you beat it?

KNERD

Reaction score
I see Vultr and DO as on par with each other, still don't know which one people prefer. Vult gives more RAM, DO gives more Disk Space. Didn't check speeds of their disk subsystems or CPU or network, but if all are relatively equal, I think I'd prefer the additional RAM from Vultr as opposed to extra disk space.

I like the snapshots for templates, and then use the automated backups for $1 / month on live boxes. How can you beat it?

Huh??

DO:

$ 10 /mo
$ 0.015 /hr
  • 1GB Memory
  • 1 Core Processor
  • 30GB SSD Disk
  • 2TB Transfer

Vultr: $10/mo 1GB Memory 1 Core Processor 20GB SSD Disk 2TB Transfer

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.