QUESTION Dial DTMF after extension

anomaly0617

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've hit the search engines for an answer a bunch, come up with some results I don't totally comprehend, and I'm admitting defeat and posting a question about it. That's where I'm at...

I'm 95% done with taking over an existing Asterisk install... one that was developed and implemented by another company with a custom rollout of Asterisk. No PIAF, no FreePBX, but definitely asterisk on the back end. I hypothetically might have created an image of their hard drive and then changed the root password on the image of their server to find out the scope of what they were doing, but that would PURELY be hypothetical if it actually happened.

In any case, what I've done is replace their server with new name-brand hardware (theirs was a white-box) running IncrediblePBX, but re-used all of the endpoints. And for the most part this is working, with the exception of paging out to the warehouse.

The paging setup is a Cisco SPA112 connected to a Viking Paging Amp. There's an extension for the Cisco SPA112, and when they want to page out to the shop they dial this extension. And here's where the fun comes in. I searched high and low on the settings for the Cisco SPA112 for an auto answer option (there isn't one). I made sure it was set on the extension to answer if from an internal source (it is). No matter what I tried, it wouldn't do it.

I then hit the search engines and found the following:

1. If you send a DTMF (5) after you dial the extension and while the Cisco SPA112 is in "ringing" mode, it will answer the call.
  2. I found a dude doing exactly what I want to do taking advantage of #1 using the following macro:
[macro-PageDTMF]
exten => s,1,Playtones(!0/250,!770+1336/150,0)
exten => s,n,Wait(.3)
exten => s,n,StopPlaytones()

He referenced it as a custom context, which is a world I've never played in. Still, I downloaded and installed the module. But, for the life of me, I cannot figure out where to put the above code and how to implement it.

What I've done so far:
  1. I've SSH'ed to my phone server, run mc (Midnight Commander) and searched /etc/asterisk for the text "macro-" (comes up with multiple entries within extensions_minivm.conf and extensions_additional.conf).
  2. I've created a custom context called "PageDTMF" and then searched on that within /etc/asterisk (comes up with extensions_custom.conf and extensions_additional.conf)
  3. I've looked and looked again and looked again again at the Paging and Intercom section, which works for phones but does not work for the SPA112.
So, I feel like I'm missing the forest for the trees here. If I add the above code to one of the files in /etc/asterisk, will it persist through changes in IncrediblePBX? Is there a way to do what I'm attempting to do within IncrediblePBX so I can be "hands off" on the files in /etc/asterisk?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
If you put it in extensions_custom.conf, then it will persist after you change things in incredible pbx. Beyond that you're into some tough hauling there; more than I would do. For the amount of time it takes I would replace the Viking with something SIP enabled.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.